Wednesday, January 4, 2023

First Chapter Review: A Death at the North Pole by Joel Andre

 


I downloaded this seasonal murder mystery by Joel Andre in 2014.

BLURB: Detective Lauren Bruni has dealt with death for her entire life. She has watched it ruin lives, and brought people closer together. Her job taught her to separate fact from fiction. But on a cold December day, all Lauren had believed in would be shattered and tossed aside. Thrust in a world unlike any she has seen before, she investigates a prominent figure's grisly murder, and searches for answers along a strange new set of people. With a killer watching her every move in the background ready to strike again at a moments notice. What is the secret of the death at the North Pole, and what is the larger horror at hand? Life lessons are learned and a realization that sometimes the most real things in this world, are the ones we believe in the least.


COVER:
Love the texture of the font on this cover. The author has chosen to portray the setting, which I also like, and the figures in the red background are haunting.
FIRST CHAPTER: The elves come across a disturbing scene one snowy December day. That's when Detective Lauren Bruni arrives.

KEEP READING: Maybe. I read Andre's seasonal short story, "Occupy the North Pole" and found it to be dark and funny. A Death at the North Pole might be a bit too dark for me. Years ago, horror didn't bother me the way it does now, and I like my murder mysteries on the lighter side most times. F-bombs also don't seem to have a place in the land of elves and the Kringles. 

I recall this author being popular back when I grabbed this book. Amazon has a dozen or so titles listed under his name, but nothing brand new since 2015. A Death at the North Pole appears to only be an audiobook these days. 

Listening Length3 hours and 9 minutes
AuthorJoel M. Andre
NarratorShandon Loring
Whispersync for VoiceReady
Audible.com Release DateOctober 04, 2012
PublisherJoel M. Haynie
Program TypeAudiobook
VersionUnabridged
LanguageEnglish
ASINB009LLDN4O

This First Chapter Review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments: