Monday, January 16, 2012

First Chapter Review: Angel Be Good by Kathy Carmichael


I can't resist a modern-day Scrooge story. Why? Because I think the character Dickens created in A Christmas Carol is fascinating and his redemption inspiring, so I enjoy seeing how others bring this type of character to life.

TITLE:  Angel Be Good

AUTHOR:  Kathy Carmichael

BLURB:  Miracles still happen in modern day New York when "Scrooge" (Nathaniel Danvers) meets Heaven Can Wait (Daphne), who has been sent to give him one last chance at redemption. Angel Be Good captures the essence of the classic Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol and offers a touch of humor and romance. This sexy romantic comedy is the perfect holiday feel-good read.


COVER:  Fabulous! The deep red, silky dress against the green cover truly captures your eye. The ornament hanging off the author's name is a nice touch and lets the reader know this is a seasonal tale without turning the book over to read the back cover blurb. The genre is clear from the words, "Heartwarming, Sexy & Fun."
 
FIRST CHAPTER:  Nathaniel Danvers wakes from a dream where his deceased parents have implored him to mend his ways. Dismissing it as an effect of the rum punch from the office Christmas party, he begins making out the pink slips for employees that will be let go after the holidays. Have to keep those employees on their toes.
 
A crash in his outer office draws his attention, but he knows he's alone, since everyone else has gone home to celebrate Christmas Eve. When a sexy, beautiful woman marches through the door without even knocking and says, "Hiya, Nat ol' boy," he's not sure what the heck is going on. Suddenly trapped in his office by this woman, she informs him that his dream was very real and she's here to make sure he changes his ways.
 
KEEP READING:  Yes, but if I hadn't read the prologue first, I wouldn't really know what was going on in the first chapter. We discover Daphne is given a second chance to live a full life by helping Nathaniel's guardian angel, Leonard convince Nat to change his ways--which isn't going to be easy. The conversations between Leonard and Daphne make the book worth reading, and it's pretty funny to watch Nathaniel's confusion over who Daphne is, while thinking she's off her rocker because she's talking to some guy named Leonard who he can't see. What I thought was unique is how helping Nathaniel connects Daphne to part of her past.
 
Paperback: 218 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace (November 4, 2011)
ISBN-10: 1466482109
ISBN-13: 978-1466482104
Kindle edition: ASIN: B002YK45IW


I picked up a free copy of this book for my Kindle. I received no monetary compensation for this review.

2 comments:

April said...

I have this one and got about 1/2 way through and need to finish it. I had to put it down to get some review/tour books in and then haven't grabbed it back up yet. What I have read is really great and fun so far!

Cheryl said...

I'm honestly not much of a romantic comedy reader, but it's a Christmas story, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I enjoyed it.