Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Chapter Review: Once A Cowboy by Linda Warren


Have a I mentioned that I love cowboy stories? Probably, but I don't usually read a lot of them because cowboys are often found in romance novels and that's not a genre I read regularly. I have limited time, so it's historicals, mysteries, thrillers, and kid's books; though I enjoy romantic elements in many genres.


TITLE: Once A Cowboy

AUTHOR: Linda Warren

BLURB: Once… And For Always

Brodie Hayes is a former rodeo star, now a rancher-a cowboy, through and through. But when he finds out some shocking news about the circumstances of his birth, he begins to question his identity. Luckily, private investigator Alexandra Donovan is there to help him find the truth about who he is. Along the way, he discovers that even a man who thought he’d be alone for the rest of his life can fall in love.

For Brodie, love was something you did once-and for always. But is Alex the type of woman who can take on a stubborn man like him? Because there’s one thing about him that will never change, no matter what they find out about his past-once a cowboy, always a cowboy.


COVER: Wow! What's not to like about this cover?  A ruggedly handsome, open-shirted cowboy leaning up against a rail fence. I love the earthy tones of the landscape behind him. Definitely makes me think of rodeos and ranches.

FIRST CHAPTER: Two women pay a visit to private investigator Alexandra Donovan. The older of the two wants to hire Alex to find out if Brodie Hayes is her son who was stolen from her at the hospital two days after he was born. Though Alex swore off missing child cases after she left the Dallas police force, she is drawn to this mother who has lost so much. She agrees to look into the case, which angers her father and business partner, Buck.

KEEP READING: Definitely! First of all, this romance novel has a unique opening. Instead of the man and woman meeting right away, the reader gets to learn some of Brodie Hayes's history from his mother, who has searched for him for over forty years. Yes, life eventually moved on. She and her husband had more children, but they never stopped thinking of their lost son. Now, Mrs. Braxton is certain this picture she has seen of Brodie Hayes is her son, and nothing is going to stop her from finding out for sure.

So, we get a good glimpse into some of Brodie's potential family right away too--which again, isn't typical, but it is refreshing.

Then we get to learn what life is like for Alex. After Mrs. Braxton and her daughter leave, Buck Donovan arrives. A tough guy who never gives his daughter a compliment, he berates her for taking on a case where she can get so emotionally involved. Warren truly paints a great picture of the tense relationship Alex has with her father.

It was hard for me to stop after Chapter 1. I really want to see how this turns out, and Alex and Brodie haven't even seen one another yet.

Print Length: 256 pages
Publisher: Harlequin (February 1, 2009)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
ASIN: B000S1L8KM

The Kindle edition of this book is currently FREE.


I picked up a free copy of this book for my Kindle. I received no monetary compensation to provide my review.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I read this book a while ago when I got my first kindle. Very steamy book and good plot. Enjoyed every page.

Cheryl said...

Steamy, huh? Sounds like I really should finish it then. :)

April said...

This sounds awesome! And I have to say - the cover is definitely yum!! lol

Cheryl said...

Why don't they make men that look like that around here? I mean, I wouldn't mind looking a bit. LOL!