Monday, January 2, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday - Jan 2

Welcome to It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday.   

 


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week. It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.     
 
Happy New Year! Welcome to the first Monday of 2023. I hope you enjoyed your holiday season. Did you take your decorations down yet? I have stripped away most of the Christmas decorations and put up winter décor, but my trees will stay up for a bit. I think I will transform the one in the family room to my snowman tree. 

Real estate kept me busy through the end of the year, so I didn't catch up on my reading much. I did, however, post two First Chapter Reviews, and I have another scheduled. This allows me to tackle my list of Kindle freebies (current total 704) and decide if they should stay on my device.





I am opting to do something I rarely do, but need to do more of in the future. The following book is a DNF for me. As you know, I have had this on my list since the fall. Each time I visit it, I feel like I am slogging uphill in a blizzard through three feet of snow. To be fair, I read the first two books in this series. They weren't favorites, but I enjoyed them. Maybe I don't have the brainpower after a stressful year. I might try again in the future. For now, I am abandoning it for my current reads. 



I listened to this one this week in the car. I'm in chapter 4. The one thing I like about Audible is the chance to read/listen to more books since my job keeps me on the road. The one thing I don't like is that I don't have a paperback to mark up or refer to later. I guess I will decide if any are worth buying in a different format later.


I like taking this one in the tub with me.

I need to get to this one as well.




Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

I am going to do my best to refrain from grabbing too many Kindle freebies this year. Instead, I want to focus on First Chapter Reviews of them. Wish me luck! 

On Friday, the mail carrier delivered the books I ordered with my B&N gift card. I am getting to the point where I will need to start boxing up books again, so I better get these read.


I am also working on my 2023 goals--reading, writing, personal, and professional. I'll probably be sharing those this coming week. Depends on my work schedule. 

Thanks for your loyal readership. I look forward to sharing and visiting with you in 2023.




12 comments:

Melinda said...

I don't DNF as much as I should either. There have been plenty of books that I regret not DNFing, which is too bad. Right now, I'm working on a book which is just on the line. I'm planning to give it another day before I decide whether to continue with it or not.

Have a great week! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

Yvonne said...

Happy New Year!

I still keep getting Kindle freebies. I've actually started reading a few. Usually, they just collect dust on my Kindle.

I hope you have a great week!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Happy New Year! You have some tempting titles. Enjoy your week.

lsmoore49 said...

I don’t leave reviews if I mark a book DNF. I try to not have many DNFs but it does happen.
You have some nice looking books here. I hope you enjoy them.
Have a great week and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cheryl said...

I find not finishing such a tough thing, Melinda. Especially if an author sends me a book for review.

Yvonne, a lot of my Kindle freebies are collecting dust, too.

I hope you look into some of these, Laurel.

Happy new year, everyone! Thanks for visiting today.

Elizabeth said...

Enjoy your books and this new year of reading!!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Happy New Year!
I hope Tomorrow and... works for you. Many love it, but it was a major disappointment for me.
https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/12/31/book-review-progress-report/

Cheryl said...

Linda, I agree. I don't leave reviews for those DNFs.

Thanks, Elizabeth.

Thanks for the heads up, Emma. I am not sure how I will like it. If I don't, maybe the girls will.

Thanks for visiting today! Happy new year, everyone!

Laurie C said...

Happy New Year! Thanks for visiting my blog today (a fellow Massachusetts blogger). I accidentally commented on your Children's and Teen blog just now. It can be hard to leave a book or series unfinished, but there's no point slogging through just for the sake of finishing, with so many other great books to read instead! I really liked Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, but I can understand why some readers didn't.

Cheriee Weichel said...

Happy New Year! I'm a fussy reader. I can't imagine trying to read a book because it is free. Also, I have too many books on my want to read list to spend the time trying to read a book that isn't working for me.
I wanted to love Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, but it just didn't work for me.

Martha Eskuchen said...

I have only started DNF over the past two years or so. It is hard to do but sometimes it is a relief to move on. I'll be curious how you like Tomorrow and Tomorrow which has had mixed comments.
Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I am brutal about DNFing books. If a book isn't working, it's off to my Little Free Library for it.