Thursday, September 22, 2022

2022 Bookish Promises Check-in

 


I am officially declaring myself an underachiever. LOL! This was the first year I didn't set goals or put together a business plan. So unlike me. Instead, I made 10 Bookish Promises. Since we are heading into the last quarter of 2022, I decided it was high time to see how I was doing. In one word: dismally. That's okay, though, because I tried something different and it didn't work. 

Here is what my list looked like in January and my thoughts on any progress. 

To read more from my TBR Pile than I did in 2021: Not going to happen. I just love my book tours way too much. 

To catch up on one favorite series: Not likely. I have books scheduled for review through early November. I am guessing some seasonal books might be on tour soon as well, so probably too far into the year for this to happen. I have eight books in the Deputy Tempe Crabtree series to catch up on. 

To read one of the oldest books from my TBR Pile: This is possible, but I would need to be intentional about it. I would need to pull back on book tours for the rest of the year as well. 

To be okay with not finishing books I don't enjoy: This really is a struggle for me, because I know how hard authors work to create a book. I can't say I have come up against this yet in 2022, so I am getting better about my book selection. 

To write one First Chapter Review a quarter: Success! I've already written 12. I have one coming up on September 27 at my children's book blog. After that, I'm not sure. I'm thinking I will whack away at my TBR Pile by reading the first chapter and deciding if a book is for me or not, which helps with the promise above.

To not sign up for a single reading challenge except the Goodreads Challenge: Success! I love reading challenges, but staying on top of them when they are at a variety of blogs makes my eyes cross. The Goodreads Challenge will have to be enough for me. 

To read one leadership book this year: Not sure why I am having such a hard time with this one. Maybe part of it is because the last thing I want to do with my down time is think of how to be a better leader. I just want to put that part of my life aside and let my brain wind down. I've attended conferences this year and listened to some good podcasts. I should have a review of a leadership book coming this month, but I was hoping for one that I chose to read for the sake of reading it.

To get off some VBT mailing lists: Nope. No excuse. I just like hearing about books on tour. Yes, I am my own worst enemy. 

To re-organize my works in progress: I started this earlier in the year, but I really think this will be a December project. 

To re-think my publishing goals: Lots of thoughts tumbling around in my brain. I so admire the authors who were with my other publisher who closed during the pandemic that took the bull by the horns and steered it into finding new publishers or self-publishing and keeping their writing careers thriving. I should have a new book coming out next year. What I need to do is start getting back into school visits, authors fairs, and then decide if I will finish my middle grade novel. 

By the end of this month, I need to start thinking about my 2023 Business Plan for real estate. I also want to make more time for blogging, because I enjoy it. 

How are you doing with your 2022 goals? Is there something you are particularly focused on achieving before year end?


Happy Fall!


2 comments:

Martha Eskuchen said...

It is helpful to take a look where you stand...
I struggle with the DNF also, especially when it is a book I agreed to read and review. Fortunately that doesn't happen often.
I love keeping up with my series though. I have to mix those in.
When I pull from the kindle TBR, I do try to go to older ones.
Those personal visits make a difference for promoting your own books.
Good on you to keep planning and moving forward!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for your comments, Martha. This year I have felt a bit out of sorts. It's been a time of change for our family.

You are so good about keeping up with your series. I need to get back in that mode.

Hope you have a great week.