Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Blogging A to Z 2022 - Dating

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter

Welcome to Day 4 of the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge (2022) I will be discussing topics of interest to those who identify as women this year. The Book Connection is lucky number 78 in a list of more than 140 bloggers who are participating in 2022. I encourage you to check out the list and visit other blogs with topics of interest.

DATING

There are so many days I am glad my dating days are behind me. But, you say, what if you are widowed? If I happen to outlive my husband, I don't plan to date or marry again. I've been in a few relationships, had three children with two different men, and am just as happy spending time alone as I am spending time with my husband. I pray I don't have to live without him, but if it happens, I'll figure out life on my own. 

Here are my top three reasons for not wanting to date again:

  1. The Pew Research Center studied public attitudes about our modern dating landscape in August of 2020. Nearly half Americans felt dating had gotten harder in the last 10 years, especially women. I agree. I met my son's father because I lived next door to his older brother. I went to high school with my husband and we worked together, even thought we didn't date until three years after we graduated. It doesn't seem to be as easy to meet people these days and technology seems to have made the whole process of meeting someone impersonal. 
  2. I am super concerned about my safety. Between being a petite person and working in an industry where you could meet strangers on a regular basis, my safety is my primary concern. I've learned to be more aware of my surroundings and take precautions to protect myself, but I don't know that I want to travel down the figure out if the guy I am interested in is a nice person or a sex offender road.
  3. To date could mean showing my body off to someone new, and I am just not going there. I've had three children, and pregnancy was not kind to my body. Neither was breastfeeding, for that matter. The thought of gaining enough confidence to be comfortable with a new person gives me a headache.
Here is a bonus reason why I don't plan to date again: I don't want to spend the time getting to know a new person and worrying if he will accept me as I am, try to change me, or just decide I'm not the one for him. Who needs that stress in their life?

What are your family friendly thoughts on dating? Do you think dating is harder than it used to be? What is the top family friendly reason you would or would not date again?

4 comments:

ladyleemanila said...

cool post, Cheryl :)

Dino said...

We were talking about this the other day and both agreed that after 31 years of marriage and counting, it would be too much like hard work to date again if one of us was widowed.

Damyanti Biswas said...

"I don't want to spend the time getting to know a new person and worrying if he will accept me as I am, try to change me, or just decide I'm not the one for him. Who needs that stress in their life?"

Very well said.

Damyanti: latest post

Cheryl said...

Thanks, ladyleemanila. Went and visited your blog today. With being away, I am a bit behind.

Dino, I am with you. We have been together 33 years and married for 22. I love him like crazy, but I have no desire to date again.

Thanks, Damyanti. You are featuring some great books at your blog this week.

Thanks for visiting, everyone.