Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Romance Subgenres



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

This week is a love freebie, so I decided to share romance subgenres that I enjoy. Though I don't tend to read a ton of romance novels, I usually like the ones I read. I think that's because I am more selective about romance novels than I am other genres.

Top Ten Favorite Romance Subgenres


Amish romance - Thanks to Charlotte Hubbard/Naomi King, I started reading Amish romances many years ago. This genre is the one I read the most of each year. 


Seasonal romance - No matter the time period or setting, I love seasonal romances. I think every book is better when it is set during the holidays. 


Historical romance - As a history lover, romance novels set during historical periods--especially early American history--catch my eye. 


Romantic comedy (rom-com) - Though I don't read many of them, they are perfect when I just need to unwind. I probably should pick these up more often. 


Inspirational romance - I don't mind sex scenes in a romance novel, but I tend to lean toward what they call wholesome, inspirational stories. 


Romantic suspense - Suspense is one of my favorite genres, so romantic suspense is high on my list to grab if I feel like diving into a romance novel.


Cowboy/Western romance - I don't read enough of them, but cowboy romances, romance novels set on a farm/ranch, or western romances appeal to me. 


Time travel romance - Time travel is a fascinating concept. Would you go back in time? Would you change anything while there? Who would you meet? I've read a few great romances where characters have traveled back in time for one reason or another.


Regency romance - Though technically a subgenre of historical fiction, I tend to think of Regency romance as its own category. Set outside of the States, it is a time of earls, estates, and rakes. Hazel Statham's books are my favorites. 



Classic romance remakes - Modernizing classic stories can be challenging, but it can also be fun. I enjoy the creativity behind them.

Now that you've read my list, do we share some of the same favorites? If you could only read one subgenre of romance novel, what would it be?

8 comments:

Jo said...

Loved your post. I enjoyed a few Amish romances many years ago, they were very good.😇
I hope you will stop and visit me at http/justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com😁

Lydia said...

I like romantic suspense, too!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-helpful-nonfiction-books-about-relationships/

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Jo. I enjoy Amish romances. It gives me a chance to learn about a faith and a community I don't know a lot about.

Lydia, I used to read a more romantic suspense than I do now, but I really enjoy it.

Susan said...

Good point. I don't read much romance and I, like you, am selective about the ones I do read. I like them to be sweet and fun, nothing too serious or smutty. I'll have to look into some of the ones you've suggested here.

Happy TTT!

Cheryl said...

Great seeing you here today, Susan. Being selective when you don't have a lot of reading time at least means I won't feel like I am wasting time reading something I won't enjoy. Hope you get a chance to check out some of these.

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

Fun take on the topic!

I don't read much romance but my mom does. I had no idea there were so many Amish romances in the world. Sometimes it feels like that's all she reads and she reads a lot now that she's retired! She likes inspirational romances too.

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

I definitely have a soft spot for regency romance and need to pick up more of the genre.

Cheryl said...

Alicia, I haven't read Regency in a while. I also need to pick up a few new ones.

Jen, I think there are a ton of Amish romances out there, too.

Thanks for visiting today, ladies!