Thursday, January 4, 2018

Beyond the Books - 2018 Blogging Goals



Beyond the Books is a weekly feature hosted right by Kissin Blue Karen. Beyond the Books is a weekly writing prompt where she throws out a topic (mostly non-bookish) and others blog about it.

Starting off the year right our first topic is....

2018 Blogging Goals 

I've already set my writing, real estate, and personal goals for 2018, but let's nail down blogging in some detail. 

I shared on The Children's and Teens' Book Connection (TCTBC) that I wanted to be sure to blog at each of my four blogs twice a week. TCTBC focuses on books for pre-schoolers up to young adults (depending on content).

The Book Connection, as you know since you're here, is for adult fiction and non-fiction.

An Imperfect Christian Mom is a blog discussing topics that are important to me as a Christian mom, including family friendly books and movies.

Books Can Be Deadly is a blog about mystery, suspense, thrillers, and true crime books.

I also blog twice a month at Christian Children’s Authors where I am one of a group of Christian authors discussing family activities, books, writing, and more.

How can I achieve my goal?


  1. Add blog days to my calendar. I'm working on time blocking my calendar in earnest and adding those dates (I'm such a paper calendar girl) to Outlook so they feed into my phone and provide me reminders that aren't as easy to ignore.
  2. Set aside one hour on Sunday evenings to pre-schedule the following week's posts. This will be tough because I work so much and in the evenings I am usually tired. It might have to become early Saturday morning. 
  3. Participate in two weekly blog memes. This is one of the easiest ways to add blog content. Some are more time consuming than others, so I'll have to choose wisely.  
  4. Look over my book review spreadsheet and put forth a plan to promote books if I haven't had time to read them yet. While I can't control how long it will take me to read a book or how much reading time I'll have, I want to focus on creating a regular blog column that enables me to discuss books in my TBR pile. Used to be the First Chapter Review, but those might take more time than I have. Still plan to continue the First Chapter Reviews when I have time.
What do you think of these goals? What are some of your blogging goals for 2018? How many years have you been blogging? If you have a special blogging anniversary coming up--5 years, 7 years, 10 years, etc.--are you planning anything special? 

4 comments:

Karen said...

I can't imagine trying to blog at so many different sites. I think it is amazing you can do it. I wish you the best of luck with all your goals this year and thanks for playing along this week!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, Karen. I love blogging, so that really helps. Now, if I had as easy of a time working on my WIPs as I do blogs, I would be in great shape.

Kit @ Metaphors and Moonlight said...

Wow, four blogs, that sounds like a lot to handle! But it sounds like you have a great plan in place :-) Good luck with your goals!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, Kristen. Always nice to have new visitors.