Monday, January 22, 2018

Musing Monday - January 22


Musing Monday is hosted by Ambrosia at The Purple Booker It is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:

I’m currently reading…
Up next I think I’ll read…
I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
I can’t wait to get a copy of…
I wish I could read ___, but…
I blogged about ____ this past week…

THIS WEEK'S RANDOM QUESTION: Do you prefer true Biographies or fiction that tells the life of someone?

How is it Monday again? I must really be getting old if time passes this quickly.

Not a ton happened last week other than the mundane stuff of life. The kids ended up with three days off because we had two and then a snow day. That's not conducive to my getting work done, but it's fun to have them here.

Right now I am reading a couple of books:






I'm working on my goal to read at least one writing craft or writing business book a quarter.This one is due back to the library soon, but I'll be done with it this week. I'm enjoying the writing exercises. More information on it can be found on Goodreads

What a fabulous question Ambrosia has posed this week. I love historical fiction and I love biographies. They both serve their purpose. Often times I am inspired by historical fiction to research the real lives of historical figures; usually that happens with movies more than books because movies can only scratch the surface of fascinating people. I do feel, however, if you are going to call something a biography, what it contains must be factual and able to be proven through research. Biographies can be engaging and true with the right author. If a story is based on true events, like the Little House books and television shows or Melanie Benjamin's novels, then I don't have the expectation that everything happened the way it is portrayed. It's up to the writer to make that clear up front so that credibility doesn't suffer. 

That's it from me for now. Hope you have a great week.

No comments: