Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'd Give To Readers Who Have Never Read...


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This is going to be a mish-mash of genres, so hopefully it works.

For those who haven't read Civil War fiction, I suggest The Killer Angels. This book was the basis for the movie, Gettysburg. This novel got me interested in the conflict and led to the many years of reading fiction and non-fiction about this time period.



For those who haven't read contemporary romance, I suggest A Comedy of Erinn by Celia Bonaduce. I don't kill myself looking for this genre, but I loved how the author threw together two characters who weren't necessarily likable when they first met and created a love story with them. 


For those who haven't read funny fantasy novels, check out Magic, Mensa and Mayhem by Karina Fabian. This book had me rolling on the floor laughing, while it also provided a great storyline. Read the book blurb and you'll be ready to pick it up. 



For those who haven't read fiction with a Southern flair, you should consider The House on Tradd Street by Karen White. This is the first book by White that I read and it made me a huge fan of her work. Her books are set in the South, so they are loaded with Southern charm. This one in particular is filled with romance, mystery, and past secrets. 


If you have never read a Christian novel with unusual characters, you must read Ten Thousand Charms, the first book in the Crossroads of Grace series by Allison Pittman. I loved this story of a woman born into a life of prostitution who meets a devout Christian miner when his wife dies in childbirth. Opposites thrown together under difficult circumstances, their love is unexpected. 


If you've never read a novel written by a man in the point of view of a woman, you must read The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner. I became a lifelong fan of Gortner's work because of this book. Eloquently written, this is riveting story filled with complex characters. 



If you've never read a book with an unusual narrator, then perhaps The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a book to try. It took me a while to get into this one because of the odd narrator. 



To a reader who has never read dystopian fiction, I would recommend The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch. Though The Hunger Games remains my favorite book in this genre, I felt more sympathy for fifteen-year-old Stephen Quinn than I ever did for Katniss Everdeen. I think that's because Katniss was so self-sufficient and prickly. 



For those who haven't read middle grade adventure stories, I suggest Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool. There is so much conflict going on in this story, and the adventure that Early and Jack embark upon changes their lives. 



If you've never read a children's classic, I highly recommend The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Out of all of Wilder's books, I feel this one has the largest appeal. It's a story of survival and pulling together as a family. It's the story of heroes who risk it all so that a town won't starve to death. It tells the story of a community that truly had to depend on each other just to make it through to spring. The reason it is my favorite--other than that Almanzo Wilder is a hero-- is that The Long Winter displays Wilder's keen eye for detail so well that you would swear you were right there. 







6 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I like the variety you shared!

Here's my list of nonfiction you can't resist!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE The Book Thief :D Hurray!! So glad it's in your list :))

My TTT

Missie said...

Great picks!
Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

NatsBK said...

All titles new to me and all of them sound interesting.
NatashazWords

Chased By My Imagination said...

I adored the narrator of The Book Thief, it was the reason that it is my favourite book! Definitely a great recommendation for someone after that! It made my list of Historical fiction :)

Check out my TTT!

Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, everyone. Off to comment on your posts, now.