Monday, December 19, 2011

Interview with Suzanne Gravelle, Author of Unfinished


Suzanne Gravelle is doing what almost every person dreams of doing. Packing it all in and starting again, not because she had too, she wanted too. So on the cusp of turning 50, Suzanne got into her vehicle, drove herself to many self imposed exile destinations, seeking what we all want, peace of mind with our life….and it was not easy for her, although she makes it look easy


After a very comfortable life raising children as a single parent, working in a career she enjoyed, Suzanne reached a crossroads in her life just as she was within reach of attaining her freedom from children living at home.


Looking forward to the next phase of her life she started thinking about minimizing the “stuff” to maximize the quality. A unexpected devastating heartbreak turned her world upside down, tearing away the very fabric of her life that kept her safe and comfortable, forcing her to look at her life and she decided, not only did she not want the life she had been living, she no longer recognized it, her world changed and she could not go back to living how she was just a few short month before the heartbreak.


So being the woman who has always had a warrior attitude with a gypsy spirit, Suzanne sold her home, put her important material possessions into storage, packed a few bags and drove away, with no destination and no return date.


Now over 60,000km/40,000 miles in 17 months, Suzanne is continuing on her journey of self exploration, driving alone, seeking the peace of mind she envisioned when she first drove away. But before she was able to embark upon this next journey she had to figure out how her simple structured life became so painful and she wanted to change it, fix it, before she returned home to her family and friends, it took her 13 months to be able to return for a short visit with them. She says, “I am still unfinished…but I am getting there. Plus, I promised my children I will come back to them, but only when I am better, when I am finished this part of my life. I did not want them to see me so confused and sad.”


When she left everyone again, she was on the road to recovery and discovering she can live the life she designed in her mind with all the details that were missing because Suzanne has learned to keep her vision clear and adds all the detail because as she has been heard to say many time, “Make sure your vision, your goals and dreams include lots of detail because I am sure you getting tired of them showing up, attaining them with missing parts.”


You can follow along with Suzanne on her journey; she could be anywhere any anytime, even in your town.


Find out where Suzanne is - http://ontourwithsuzanne.blogspot.com/.


Suzanne’s radio show Wednesday 10am EST on http://Blogtalkradio.com/ontourwithsuzanne  


Face Book - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unfinshed-by-Suzanne-Gravelle/188575424533413  


Twitter @tourwithsuzanne - http://twitter.com/tourwithsuzanne  

Where did you grow up?

I grew up equally on each coast of Canada. Spent my younger years on the East Coast, Nova Scotia… then moved West, returning East as a young woman/wife/mother, the in between years were spent on Vancouver Island, British Columbia

When did you begin writing?

I started writing children’s stories when my children were young, and then put them away for many years. 3 years ago I found them and continued writing children’s stories, thinking I would make a career of it. Then life switched up and I started writing a daily travel journal which very quickly turned in to my published memoir… UNFINISHED.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write when the mood strikes, which is often. I am fortunate enough in my life right now, that writing and feeding myself are the only things I need to take care of.

What is this book about?

It is about a very personal physical journey. I left all that I knew, sold my home, packed a few bags and went on the road to discover why I suddenly felt so disconnected with my very comfortable life.

What inspired you to write it?

I knew what I was doing was extraordinary, or at least that is what I was being told. As I started reading my journal I saw a story starting to appear.

Who is your favorite character from the book?

When I write about my children, and how they handled their lives when I left and got through a very horrific period of their lives without me, (the horrific period had nothing to do with me.)... they are my favorite, and Mr. Aswell.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

I do not know any different so I am going to say my publisher made it a smooth ride for a first time writer.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

I may have had the first few chapters done before I committed to a deadline. When I signed contracts I had not written one word, but we knew it would come as it was so current of a story and I did not have to make anything up.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

UNFINISHED is available on http://www.amazon.com/Unfinished-Suzanne-Gravelle/dp/192700506X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324322148&sr=8-1.  In select bookstores, Chapters, Costco, Wal-Mart

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

No video trailer, I have a radio program on www.Blogtalkradio.com/ontourwithsuzanne every Wednesday morning 10am EST and I read and talk about my book and journey with guest speakers talking about my book and how it resonates with them. I will do a YouTube trailer and any other trailer I can find. Still finding out all the ways to promote.

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

I hired a publicist.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Keep writing and do not stop seeking a publisher until you find on that will work with you.

What is up next for you?

I am currently writing, working on my second book to my series aptly titled… FINISHED which will be released in March 2012. I am travelling and promoting Unfinished any way I can. I want to do speaking engagements everywhere!

Is there anything you would like to add?

I had no idea when I started writing Unfinished how many people would be affected and able to relate to my state of mind and what was happening to me while I was travelling alone and writing. It has been life changing for them and for me. I believe I will be travelling for another year if not longer as I have not made it to Alaska and that is where I said I wanted to go. But the Universe had other plans for me when I got close, it turned me around. I also believe that Finished… will not be the last part of my journey as I feel so far from finished….but getting there.

For more information about Unfinished by Suzanne Gravelle, visit http://www.amazon.com/Unfinished-Suzanne-Gravelle/dp/192700506X and you can follow her journey on her blog – http://ontourwithsuzanne.blogspot.com.   

No comments: