Monday, October 17, 2011

Interview: Daniel Sullivan, Author of The Greatest Patriot

Joining us today is Daniel Sullivan, author of The Greatest Patriot.

After graduating from Oregon State University Dan worked for three years in Seattle and Portland, Oregon before quitting his job and spending three months backpacking around Europe in 1990. Upon returning from Europe, Dan moved to Boise, Idaho where he went to work in the Real Estate industry.

He earned his Scuba Dive Master certification and spent years traveling to destinations such as Fiji, Belize, Mexico, and throughout the Caribbean. Dan and his wife Amy enjoy the incredible natural wonders of Idaho and the Pacific Northwest with their two children.

Welcome to The Book Connection, Dan. It's wonderful to have you here.


Where did you grow up?

La Grande, Oregon…a idyllic little town nestled in a beautiful valley in Northeastern Oregon.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

In the winter, the city would block off Oak Street hill, a few blocks from our house. My brothers and I would sled down that hill over and over again until we were frozen. Then we would go home, warm up and do it over again. Sledding after dark was especially fun!

When did you begin writing?

I began writing short stories as soon as I could write. I wrote funny stories for my classmates and funny letters to friends and girls I liked. I remember telling stories before I could write.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I like to get up early and write. After about 8 pm, I’m toast.

What is this book about?

It’s a “What if”. I have always wondered what the world would look like if JFK hadn’t died in ’63…I simply changed that question to a statement, the world looks as it does today because he didn’t die in 1963.

What inspired you to write it?

I wanted to write an alternate ending to the tragedy of JFK’s death. Wouldn’t it have been great to have been there and be able to yell “duck!” before the shooting started.

Who is your favorite character from the book?

You can’t help but love Hal Rumsey, the Secret Service agent who was assigned to JFK for all those years after 1963. But I really like Demetrius, the island’s little caretaker who has a wonderful sense of duty and a unique sense of humor.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

I’m not a member of a critique group. I have a large number of friends who provided great feedback throughout the writing process. I feel sorry for them, reading the first half of the book and having to wait for me to write the second half

Who is your favorite author?

Probably Clive Cussler. I like Tom Clancy and Dan Brown as well.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

Neither. I wouldn’t have a problem using an agent, but I didn’t see any reason to beg somebody to read my book and represent me when I could do it myself.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

Once I decided to self publish, it was pretty smooth sailing.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

Not that I know of….can I answer this question again in a year or two?

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Amazon, Barnes & Noble, all the e-readers or on my website http://www.thegreatestpatriot.com/

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

On the website!

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

The investment of time I’ve put into Facebook, Twitter, and being active on relevant blogs

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

If you are going to write a book that you want to sell, write something that is interesting. People will buy books that interest them, they won’t necessarily buy a book that is of interest just to you. I sat next to a kid on a flight a while back who was hoping to sell a book full of stories about he and his friends…but he couldn’t tell me what was unique about his group. When I got off the plane he had bought one of my books but I still wasn’t sure what he was trying to sell. Think sales first!

What is up next for you?

I’m just putting the finishing touches on a novel I wrote a few years ago, a sailing and drinking adventure (two things I know quite a bit about) that takes place in the Caribbean. I’m also about 1/3 of the way finished with the follow up to The Greatest Patriot. Jose Telleria is in a lot of trouble!

Is there anything you would like to add?

There is a book in everybody. If you want to write, sit down every day and write 250 words. After a year you will have a 365 page book. It’s easier than it seems.

Thanks for spending time with us today, Dan. We wish you the best.

1 comment:

Sheila Deeth said...

What a fun premise--it sounds a really interesting book.