Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Bookish Promises for 2023 - UPDATED



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.    

This week's topic is supposed to be the Top Ten Most Anticipated Books Releasing During the Second Half of 2023. My brain simply isn't there right now. I do, however, like to check in with progress throughout the year. So, I pulled out the Top Ten Bookish Promises for 2023 list I put together in January and listed my progress so far. 

Top Ten Bookish Promises for 2023 - UPDATED 

One First Chapter Review a week 

UPDATE: I knew it would be hard, but it became impossible when work increased. I guess I would rather be in the top five of my company than keep this promise. 😊 I have posted six this year (though I had to unpublish one because the book contract was canceled), so that’s one a month. Not too bad. 

Read 10 books from my TBR Pile. 

UPDATE: I am so bad about not indulging in VBT books. Three of the books I’ve read this year were from my TBR Pile. 

Read 5 leadership books this year. 

UPDATE: I changed my focus early in the year to focus simply on professional development. This year I have read eight books that fall into that category, plus another book on positive thinking. That’s a win! 

Read one book in a genre I don't usually read. 

UPDATE: I’ve definitely read more books in the professional development category than I have in years. I will also be reading a children’s fantasy book soon. 

Post more regularly at my children's book blog. 

UPDATE: I am adding more children’s books to my reading schedule. Not sure if when December 31 rolls around I will have posted more at this blog or not. 

Reconsider the book lists (including freebies) I subscribe to and delete at least one. 

UPDATE: I didn’t delete any, but I don’t check the emails regularly anymore. I could go weeks without adding any new books to  my TBR Pile. 

Take a writing MasterClass.

UPDATE: I haven’t started any of these but in addition to Nick Gaiman’s class on the art of storytelling, I’ve added Judy Blume Teaches Writing and Shonda Rhimes Teaches Writing for Television to my library. 

Re-organize my works in progress.

UPDATE: I am thinking about what I should do. I’m supposed to have a book coming out this year, so I will need to market that. I’ve got one completed book being reviewed by an illustrator, which might need some revisions. I’m still plugging away at my middle grade novel when I have time. Other than that, I really haven’t considered this task. 

Increase the number of paid editing jobs.

UPDATE: This year has been a good one so far, but my regular work schedule may impede further progress. 

Submit one or two short stories.

UPDATE: There is one I am focusing on, just not sure if it will fit.

Did you make a list of bookish goals or promises this year? How is it going?

11 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You are doing well, I think, on the promises you made for the year.

Lydia said...

Good job on your promises for the year so far!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse said...

Great job on your accomplishments this year!

Poinsettia said...

It looks like you've done well on your promises so far! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

Pam said...

Finding the balance in life is important to achieving any goal. I hope you will continue to take the baby steps needed to reach your goals.

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
https://readbakecreate.com/late-2023-most-anticipated-canadian-releases/

Susan said...

You did pretty well, I'd say! Other than my yearly goal of reading 200 books and my reading challenges, I don't make bookish goals or even wishes. That way, reading and blogging stays fun. I haven't actually written very many reviews this year, though, so maybe I need to make a goal about THAT. Ha ha.

Happy TTT!

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Thanks, Deb. I can only do as much as I can, so I try not to stress about it.

Thanks, Lydia, Deanna, and Poinsettia.

Pam, I agree. It is important.

Susan, I'm glad I switched to using promises, because goals made grumpy when I don't achieve them. If not reviewing makes you happy, then maybe no goal is needed. :)

Thanks for visiting today, everyone.

Veronica @ The Burgeoning Bookshelf said...

It’s good to look back and see how your yearly promises are going. I made a promise to read more non fiction and it’s not going so well but the year is still half full, so plenty of time.

Lark @ The Bookwyrm's Hoard said...

It's good to check in on your promises (or goals) periodically. Sounds like you're in a pretty good place with most of them, and I agree that work often takes priority. Best of luck with your writing!

Read with Stefani said...

Love that you've checked in on your goals. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/mid-year-book-freak-out-tag-2023/

iloveheartlandX said...

Seems like you're doing really well on these so far!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/06/27/top-ten-tuesday-426/