Sunday, April 9, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday - Apr 10

Welcome to It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday.   

 


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week. It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.      

Happy Easter Monday! I hope you had a glorious weekend. I missed posting last week because we had been away. Here are a few photos from our trip to NY.


Upstate Bar & Grill in Cooperstown, NY


Gift shop outside the Baseball Hall of Fame



National Comedy Center in Jamestown, NY



Luci Desi Museum in Jamestown, NY


On the drive home


This past Friday, we brought Yia-Yia to our home to live with us. Her room came out lovely, and we were prepared for her arrival. We had a great day, laughing, watching the Gaithers, and getting her settled in. She was good with the transition from one house to another, and other than the occasional, "How old am I?" questions, she acclimated well. So, imagine our surprise, when I found she passed away in her sleep overnight. 

We are saddened we didn't have more time with her, but God's timing is always perfect. She had a good day. She was happy to be here. And she knew where she was going when she left this world. Reunited with her parents, husband, and dozens of friends and loved ones, how glorious for her to be welcomed home by her Savior on Easter weekend. 

Needless to say, not a ton of reading going on lately. While in New York, I read this one for my April 24 review.


After prayer time, I read from this John Maxwell book in the morning.



I ended up finishing this one. In the end, though I felt it dragged on, this book had a ton of excellent insight. I will post a short review soon.


These two are next for May 1 and May 29 tours. Not sure why I thought signing up for three review books made sense, but at least one of them is small. 




Upcoming virtual book tours:
  • The Vanishing at Castle Moreau by Jamie Jo Wright - Apr 24 (review)
  • The Shade Under the Mango Tree by Evy Journey - Apr 27
  • The Not So True Adventures of Brandon, Josh and Adam by Barry M. Fellinger - May 1 (review at TC&TBC)
  • The Giving Back Tree by Tarky Lee - May 29 (review at TC&TBC)

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

I grabbed this book in Cooperstown from the Hall of Fame gift shop.


I also downloaded this one on NetGalley. 


I have errands to run this morning, but I will be checking in with my blogging friends this afternoon.

11 comments:

Martha Eskuchen said...

Oh Dear! My prayers for your family at the loss of Yia Yia. But you are right that there is joy that she get's welcomed by Jesus at Easter time.
Looks like you had a nice visit to NY. I used to love getting those soft pretzels when we visited Philadelphia as a child.
I like the look of the baseball book.
I hope your week goes well and that you and your husband are comforted.
Maybe you'll get some time for Happy Reading!

Kathryn T said...

Cheryl my sympathy on losing YiaYia so close to her coming to live with you. Sounds like she had a happy day with you though so good memories. Must have been a shock though. Glad you enjoyed NY - all the best for the days to come.

Marg said...

So glad that you enjoyed your trip to New York and had that one great day with Yia Yia. I am sorry that you didn't get more time.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Oh, my, I'm sorry you didn't have more time with Yia Yia but what a glorious time to join Jesus! Sending her loved ones hugs.
Mary @Bookfan

Kathy Martin said...

I'm sorry for your loss. But your trip looks like it was excellent. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

Cheryl said...

Thank you, Martha. The timing was a shock, but what a great way for her to spend Easter. New York was wonderful. Hope for some reading time soon.

Thanks, Kathryn. I hope YiaYia had a special day. I would like to spend more time in upstate NY. We were about 1.5 hours from Lake Erie, so would love to head that way.

Thanks, Marg.

Thank you, Mary. So agree that it was such a glorious time to arrive in heaven.

Thanks, Kathy. It was a wonderful trip.

Yvonne said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I always wanted to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Maybe someday.

Hope you have a good week!

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Yvonne.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is fabulous. I hope you get to visit one day.

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss, but I'm sure she appreciated your willingness to bring her into your home and that you made such a lovely space for her. We all hope for such a peaceful ending.

Your trip does look like a lot of fun!

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Jen. I am sure she did. She was a wonderful lady.

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Sorry or the passing of your grandma. But as a Christian, to depart on the night after Good Friday, that's special.
Memory Eteral ! (that's we say for people who pass away in Orthodoxy).