Monday, March 6, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday - Mar 6

Welcome to It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday.   

 


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week. It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.     

Happy first Monday of March, everyone! It roared in as a lion for us, giving us more of the white stuff. Thankfully, this week will be drier. 

I am thrilled to have the Lil' Princess home on spring break. It makes such a difference in  my mood when both girls are home. 


In my reading world, I finished this one yesterday. Look for my review today. 



In the mornings, I am now reading from this John Maxwell book.



I also pick up these from time to time.




I did something I never do--I returned a book to Audible. Napoleon Hill remains an admired and respected leader, and his Laws of Success preceded his famous Think and Grow Rich book. However, some of the wording in defining The Laws of Success doesn't hold up well to modern audiences. I simply couldn't go further, because I found it distracting. 




Upcoming virtual book tours:
  • Path of Peril by Marlie Parker Wasserman - Mar 13
  • The Vanishing at Castle Moreau by Jamie Jo Wright - Apr 24 (review)

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.


This book, which I will be reviewing in April, arrived earlier than expected.



In 1865, orphaned Daisy Francois takes a position as housemaid at a midwestern Wisconsin castle and finds that the reclusive and eccentric Gothic authoress inside hides more than the harrowing tales in her novels. With women disappearing from the area and a legend that seems to parallel these eerie circumstances, Daisy is thrust into a web that may threaten to steal her sanity, if not her life.

In the present day, Cleo Clemmons is hired by the grandson of American aristocratic family the Tremblays to help his matriarchal grandmother face her hoarding in the dilapidated Castle Moreau. But when Cleo uncovers more than just the woman's stashes of collectibles, a century-old mystery of disappearance, insanity, and the dust of the old castle's curse threatens to rise again, and this time, leave no one alive to tell its sordid tale.

Fan-favorite Jaime Jo Wright draws readers into a seamlessly woven dual-time tale of suspense, mystery, romance, and redemption.

That's it from me this week. Hope you are enjoying and sharing some great books.

11 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Looks like you've got a varied list of books there. Hope they are good reads.

Kathryn T said...

Nice to have your family at home. I like that if an audio book doesn't work for us we can return it to Audible. Yes can see why you did.

Marg said...

I do love a good dual timeline book!

Have a great week.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Aw enjoy the spring break visit. I loved it when our kids returned home for breaks. Now it's young grands who visit and I love it.
Mary @Bookfan

Kathy Martin said...

The Vanishing at Castle Moreau does sound interesting. I'm glad you are getting a chance to visit with your daughter during her school break. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

Greg said...

It is nice when the kids are home. Mine are home for spring break too. Have a nice week. Happy reading! :)

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

This gothic book sounds great, plus I love the Moreau reference!
https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/03/05/sunday-post-81-03-05-2023/

Cheryl said...

Great to see everyone here today. I am just catching up now.

Mark, I am trying to add more variety lately.

Kathryn, it is wonderful to have her home. I don't know I would have realized you could return an Audible book unless they had me take one of those surveys asking what features we use. I am glad they have it.

Marg, dual timelines can be fun.

Mary, so glad you get to visit with the grandkids.

Kathy, I hope it is as interesting as it sounds.

Greg, hope you enjoy your kids being home.

Emma, I haven't read a gothic book in a while, but I usually enjoy them.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Martha Eskuchen said...

Glad you are getting to enjoy daughter visit.
I returned a NetGalley pick a few months ago - or at least said I would not give feedback. It wasn't to my tastes.
The Vanishing at Castle Moreau sounds good.
How is your weather doing?
Have a good week and Happy Reading!

Micheal george said...

I always look forward to Mailbox Monday to discover new reads! As for "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" I'm taking a break from my dissertation online help to indulge in some light fiction. But, I'll definitely be seeking out some dissertation online help soon to tackle my research with renewed focus!

Cheryl said...

Martha, weather is decent. After the snow, we have had a calm before the next storm coming Friday. Of course, the warmer weather means we have some visible grass in between storms. At least the youngest got to see snow while she was home.

Michael, good luck with your dissertation and research.

Thanks for stopping by, everyone.