Monday, January 23, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday - Jan 23

Welcome to It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Mailbox Monday.   

 


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week. It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date.     

Welcome back to Monday! Is anyone else amazed that we are four Mondays into 2023?

I am down to only one Christmas tree in the house--the main one. It is sad when all the lights are put away, so I usually don't take the last tree down until the end of January. Most of the decorations are tucked away, and having bought a new artificial 9 foot tree for the family room for 2023, once I take off all the decorations, the old tree will head onto the porch to await the junk removal contractor's truck. 

Travis wanted to supervise my taking down of the upstairs tree, while Dwight was content to hide under my book cabinet.




In other family news, it seems my mother-in-law is moving in. Please pray the transition goes smoothly, and that we can figure out the expenses and the minor construction it will require. 

Not a ton of reading going on, but I am almost finished listening to this book. If you are in a leadership role, I highly recommend it. I might also read Lee Cockerell's book, Career Magic.


Look for my review of this thriller today.

These three are up next.






Upcoming virtual book tours:
  • Dead Heat to Destiny by J. B. Rivard - Feb 7
  • Family Gatherings at Promise Lodge by Charlotte Hubbard - Feb 20
  • Kiss My Boots by Jennifer Learmont - Feb 23
  • The Code by Sean Keefer - Mar 6



Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

I had a $10 reward from Audible, so I grabbed this book that I learned about during the training class I took earlier this month. 



One recent December, at age 53, John Kralik found his life at a terrible, frightening low: his small law firm was failing; he was struggling through a painful second divorce; he had grown distant from his two older children and was afraid he might lose contact with his young daughter; he was living in a tiny apartment where he froze in the winter and baked in the summer; he was 40 pounds overweight; his girlfriend had just broken up with him; and overall, his dearest life dreams--including hopes of upholding idealistic legal principles and of becoming a judge--seemed to have slipped beyond his reach.  

Then, during a desperate walk in the hills on New Year's Day, John was struck by the belief that his life might become at least tolerable if, instead of focusing on what he didn't have, he could find some way to be grateful for what he had.

Inspired by a beautiful, simple note his ex-girlfriend had sent to thank him for his Christmas gift, John imagined that he might find a way to feel grateful by writing thank-you notes. To keep himself going, he set himself a goal--come what may--of writing 365 thank-you notes in the coming year.

One by one, day after day, he began to handwrite thank yous--for gifts or kindnesses he'd received from loved ones and coworkers, from past business associates and current foes, from college friends and doctors and store clerks and handymen and neighbors, and anyone, really, absolutely anyone, who'd done him a good turn, however large or small. Immediately after he'd sent his very first notes, significant and surprising benefits began to come John's way--from financial gain to true friendship, from weight loss to inner peace. While John wrote his notes, the economy collapsed, the bank across the street from his office failed, but thank-you note by thank-you note, John's whole life turned around. 

365 Thank Yous is a rare memoir: its touching, immediately accessible message--and benefits--come to readers from the plainspoken storytelling of an ordinary man. Kralik sets a believable, doable example of how to live a miraculously good life. To read 365 Thank Yous is to be changed.

That is it from me this week. I hope you enjoy the week ahead and that it is filled with blessings.

7 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

365 Thank Yous sounds intriguing. Nice that you could use the coupon too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

Majanka Verstraete said...

The Code looks spooky. What is the genre?

My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

Yvonne said...

365 Thank Yous sounds really good.

Good luck with the preparations for your MIL's move.

Have a great week!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I hope the move goes smoothly and easily. I'm sure the transition will take a little time.

365 Thank Yous is a fantastic story.

Savvy Verse & Wit said...

I hope the transition is smooth. It will likely take a bit of time after the move to get into a rhythm. My parents moved in with us 5 years ago, so we're in a place where expectations are tempered, etc. It's been an adjustment.

Good luck and lots of hugs.

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

This sounds like a very inspiring book. Gratitude is so important

Martha Eskuchen said...

I like seeing your cats' antics. Thanks for sharing them.
I'll be praying for that smooth transition.
I'll check out that leadership recommendation and let my son know too because he has been reading a lot of leadership titles.
I like the sound of the 365 Thank You book. I've read something similar but I would have to go look what it was.
Have a good week and Happy Reading!