Monday, January 23, 2023

Book Review: To Catch the Setting Sun by Richard I. Levine

 

An edgy thriller set on the island of Oahu awaits you in To Catch the Setting Sun by Richard I. Levine.

Honolulu police detective Henry Benjamin is tracking a killer targeting young, native-Hawaiian women on the island of Oahu. It appears the killer is taunting Henry, who seems to have known each victim, while his aggressive style that turns up few leads, fuels rumors that he might be the killer. Having spent more than a dozen years on the job, Henry expects nothing of this faux fantasy island except deceit and deception.

Levine writes one heck of a story. Twists and turns abound in this thriller set on Oahu. The author uses his knowledge of the area to depict a fascinating setting that might be different than what you would find in a travel brochure. Having been to Hawaii, I felt Levine did a superb job with it.

Henry is a New York transplant who long ago dropped the illusions of his job in "paradise." Drawn to the investigation because his wife Maya was the first name on the killer's list, his colleagues are stumped when his investigation lacks any progress. Not all of them are Detective Benjamin fans anyway. With a smart, sassy new partner, maybe things will change. 

While I am not a huge fan of third person omniscient point of view, I didn't mind it as much in To Catch the Setting Sun. I enjoyed how journal entries opened each chapter. They are deep and personal entries that captivate the reader with their poetic style. As with any suspense thriller, one must expect some grit and gore. To Catch the Setting Sun is an overall satisfying read.

  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Wild Rose Press (August 22, 2022)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Paperback ‏ : ‎ 322 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1509243291
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1509243297
  • Purchase here!

I received a copy of this book from the author. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.



1 comment:

Martha Eskuchen said...

I liked the look and sound of this thriller. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.