Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books Set in Places I’d Love to Visit

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.  

Here we are at the first Tuesday of August. I haven't participated in a Top Ten Tuesday post since the end of June. July is vacation time for us, and I just didn't seem to have the right amount of time to visit everyone, so I held off. This month's list of Top Ten Tuesday ideas sounds like fun, so I hope I can keep up.

This week we are talking about the Top Ten Books Set in Places I'd Love to Visit... 


The White Sands Hotel (Anne of Avonlea & Road to Avonlea) ~ Photo credit Sullivan Entertainment. 

White Sands is mentioned in some of the Anne novels, but taking it from memory, the White Sands Hotel was only part of the Anne of Green Gables movie (Anne gave her famous recitation of "The
Highwayman" there) and the Road to Avonlea television series. The building pictured above is an actual resort on Prince Edward Island called Dalvay by the Sea. Sullivan Entertainment used it during filming. You can read more here. I would love to visit this and other PEI sites. 



Charleston, South Carolina ~ Photo credit Getty Images. 

Many novels are set in Charleston, SC. If you spend any time here, you will already know that Karen White's Tradd Street series is set in Charleston, which inspires me to pay it a visit.


Chattahoochee, Florida ~ Photo credit City of Chattahoochee. 

As a life-long New Englander, I had never heard of Chattahoochee, Florida until I read Rhett DeVane's The Madhatter's Guide to Chocolate. One of the main characters, Hattie Davis, lived down the road from Florida's first psychiatric hospital, which was located in Chattahoochee. With trails, the river landing tour, and historic sites, I would enjoy a visit. 


Rodanthe, NC Photo credit OuterBanks.com

This one feels a little bit like a cheat, because we have been going to the Outer Banks for decades. I have to admit, however, we have only ever driven through Rodanthe on the way to other things--like the ferry dock taking us from Hatteras Island to Ocracoke Island. Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks is set here. Rodanthe is just one of the villages located on Hatteras Island. 


Alaska ~ Photo credit wikidata.org

Our son had the chance to visit Alaska, but we never have. I'm not sure I could tolerate the harsh winters, but a July trip might be nice. The Call of the Wild by Jack London is set in Alaska. 


Mexico Photo credit Bloomberg.com

With its rich culture, a trip to Mexico sounds like an exciting time. This is a photo of the Palace of Fine Arts in Mexico City. Everyone Knows You Go Home by Natalia Sylvester speaks to the immigrant experience and is set partially in Mexico. 


Bermuda ~ Photo credit BBC.

I visited Bermuda in high school, but I haven't been back since. I recall it being lovely with bright colored houses, few cars, and sparkling blue water. Beyond the Moonlit Sea by Julianne Maclean, which came out in June, is the story of two women whose paths collide when a pilot disappears over the Bermuda Triangle. 



Jamesport, Missouri ~ Photo credit Helpmecovid.com 

Charlotte Hubbard's books feature Missouri Amish communities. I've come to adore the characters, and the descriptions of the countryside makes me yearn to visit. Jamesport has a bed and breakfast and an inn for tourists. 


Rocky Ridge Farm, Mansfield, Missouri ~ Photo credit LIW Historic Home & Museum.

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder tell the story of a young pioneer girl growing up on the American prairie. The First Four Years, which was published after her death, spoke of the early years of Laura's married life with Almanzo. After numerous attempts at making a living, the Wilders moved to Mansfield, Missouri and worked on a forty-acre farm they called Rocky Ridge Farm. I had a chance to visit many of the Laura Ingalls Wilder sites, but I have not yet made it to Rocky Ridge Farm.


Wilder Homestead, Malone, NY ~ Photo credit visitmalone.com

The second book in the Little House series, Farmer Boy, is about Almanzo's years growing up on a farm in upstate New York. I've never been to the Wilder Homestead, which is so silly because it is the closest site to me. 

So, that's my list. What do you think? Do we share any of the same sites? If you could only choose one from your list, which would it be?

9 comments:

Lydia said...

The White Sands Hotel sounds like a lovely place to visit!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-set-in-a-place-id-love-to-visit/

Tanya @ Moms Small Victories said...

Fun, I have lived in NC for decades and I have yet to go to the Outer Banks, I've been to several other NC beaches and islands but not Outer Banks. Great list! My list is all international this time, as I love reading about different countries and cultures. Happy reading!

R's Rue said...

Now i want to go back to Charleston and eat shrimp and grits. Bermuda sounds good too. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

I'd love to visit PEI, and Alaska is on my list, too.

Stop by and see the places I'd like to visit!

Poinsettia said...

All of these places sound beautiful! I loved the Little House series and the Anne of Green Gables series as a kid, so visiting those places sounds very appealing.
Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

Pam said...

I have PEI on my list this week as well. Many sites in the province are dedicated to Anne of Green Gables. As for the one in Malone, NY, I never knew that existed. This is interesting as I grew up about an hour from Malone. It's funny the things you don't know exist in your backyard!

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
https://readbakecreate.com/7-bookish-places-i-want-to-visit/

Cindy said...

I recently visited the Wilder's homestead in Wisconsin, plus the museum, it was so much fun! I love that you have been to so many of their places. Have a great week!

Lark said...

Love the photos you found to go with each one of your choices! Fun post. :D

Cheryl said...

Lydia, Sullivan Entertainment definitely made it look lovely. I would enjoy seeing it in person.

Tanya, the Outer Banks is worth a visit--so much to do or you can just hang out and relax. Manteo and Ocracoke have neat bookstores.

Regine, I hope you get to go back to Charleston.

Lisa, your list was awesome.

Poinsettia, I hope you get to visit those Little House and Anne of Green Gables sites.

Pam, you had a great list. Too bad you didn't get a chance to visit Malone when you were close by. Hope you make it out there one day.

Cindy, I am glad you enjoyed your visit to the Wilder homestead and museum. We did an eight-day road trip, so we covered many of the sites.

Thanks, Lark. So glad you liked the photos.

Thanks for visiting today, everyone. I enjoyed stopping by your blogs and checking out your lists as well. Hope you have a fabulous week.