Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Interview with Kerry Chaput, Author of Daughter of the King

 


Kerry Chaput is the author of Daughter of the King, which released on December 16th with Black Rose Writing. She has also published two indie books and co-hosts a weekly Instagram series called "Query Chats". She's passionate about history, coffee, and women-centered tales. Connect with her on Twitter @ChaputKerry, Instagram @kerrywrites, or her website www.kerrywrites.com 

Where did you grow up?

Solvang, California. It’s a Danish town just north of Santa Barbara with bakeries and windmills and golden hills dotted with twisty oak trees.

When did you begin writing?

I wrote my first story at twelve which promptly got thrown in the trash. My first real attempt at writing a novel came at twenty-five. I finished it, but never told anyone. I finally picked up that same story at forty and have written practically every day since.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write in the early morning hours, at 4:30 or 5am. I love the quiet and the darkness. I sit in the same chair with a hot cup of coffee and a cozy blanket. I can feel my creativity soar at that time, probably because I have no distractions. My only focus is to write. 

What is this book about?

Daughter of the King is based on the true story of the women who settled French Canada. Our main character, Isabelle, is a French Protestant living in 1661 Catholic France. She is tortured and harassed, desperate for a chance at freedom. The King offers her money, power, and protection in the colony of Canada, but she must turn on her faith and adopt the religion that killed her family. It is book one of the Defying the Crown series.



What inspired you to write it?

I was researching my husband’s French-Canadian ancestry and discovered the story of the Daughters of the King. I felt immediately connected to them, and through months and months of research I finally decided to write a series about them. They are such an important part of North American history and rarely discussed. I wanted to bring their stories to a modern audience.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

It is available on Amazon and Black Rose Writing’s website. 

What is up next for you?

I’m currently querying agents for my Depression-era story, and writing a historical fantasy set in 1925. After that, I would like to begin book two of the Defying the Crown series. I’m excited to pick up where Isabelle left off. She has many adventures ahead!

No comments: