Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Would Hand to Someone Who Claims to Not Like Reading



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

I find this week's topic a bit tough, because reading is such a personal thing. My favorite genres might not be another person's favorites. So, I guess I will choose books from a variety of genres in the hopes of hitting the mark.

Top Ten Books I Would Hand to Someone Who Claims to Not Like Reading



Inspirational fiction - This is the incredible story of Simon Potter, a ragpicker who delivers an inspiring “memorandum from God.” I read this book while I as a single parent. I found it so inspiring, I read most of Og Mandino's books. This one remains my favorite. 


Romantic suspense - This was the first book in The Sullivan Boys series that I read. I fell in love with these characters, and the plot in this novel captured my attention from beginning to end. 




Historical fiction - When it comes to historical fiction, there is no way for me to choose just one book. Two on my list are set against the backdrop of the American Civil War--my favorite time period to read about. 

Shades of Gray introduced me to author Jessica James. Her attention to detail is astounding and the plot riveting. I cried a lot during this novel, but it was worth it.

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is the second book in a trilogy, though I did not know that when I read it. The first book, Gods and Generals, and the third/final book, The Last Full Measure, bring the reader from prior to the battle of Gettysburg (the setting of The Killer Angels) through the last two years of the war. Books one and three were written by Michael's son, Jeff. This trilogy is some of the best Civil War fiction I've ever read. 

The Mayflower Bride is the first book in The Daughters of the Mayflower series. Various authors have contributed to this series, which is now twelve books in, with Books 1-3 and 4-6 also being sold in collections. I've read up through the sixth book and hope to continue.


Southern fiction - This genre comes in a variety of subgenres that often find their ways onto my shelves. Karen White is one of the most masterful storytellers in the Southern fiction genre. I've read every book in her Tradd Street series and several others. 


Christian fiction - I've always loved books by Kathi Macias, but with her "Fiction with a Mission," she truly drew me in. Though this is not an easy read by any means, it will definitely captivate its reader. 


Cozy mystery - I've been a fan of the cozy mystery since childhood. To pick just one book or series here was hard, but Duffy Brown truly is a master of this genre. Her characters are unique and find themselves stumbling over bodies in the most unlikely places. 



Amish fiction - Amish fiction also comes in different subgenres. You have the Amish romances of Charlotte Hubbard and the Amish mysteries of Vannetta Chapman. Though Hubbard sticks to romance, Chapman has written romantic suspense, dystopian novels, and cozy mysteries set in Amish communities. What I like about both women's work is that you get a real sense of the community as a whole. 


Suspense with strong female leads - I'm a lover of many suspense and thriller novels. I just tend to like ones with strong female leads. The Caitlin Strong series by Jon Land definitely fits the bill. Caitlin is a fifth-generation Texas Ranger (no pressure there). I came into the series with Book 5, Strong Rain Falling, and I've been reading this and other books by Jon Land ever since. 



Historical family sagas - I fell in love with the historical family saga after watching The Thorn Birds on television in 1983. I went on to read the book by Colleen McCullough and have read historical family dramas like the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes and the Bear Lake Family Saga by Linda Weaver Clarke. I am still making my way through this last one when I have time.





Novels based on the lives of historical characters - Melanie Benjamin introduced me to novels based on the lives of historical characters, and I have been a fan ever since. The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb fascinated me, and I could believe things happened similar to the way they were described in Benjamin's novel, though I knew nothing of the historical character before reading it. With Caroline by Sarah Miller, I knew Ma Ingalls well. This gave me the opportunity to relate to Caroline Quiner Ingalls in a different way. 

So, what do you think of my picks? Have you read any of them? Are there some you wish to add to your list? 

7 comments:

Greg said...

I had trouble with this topic too and ended up not doing it- ran out of time- but I like your picks. I don't read a lot of cozies but I do like them from time to time, and mis reading them since it has been a while. I especially liked Ellery Adams's various series and also the Julie Mulhern Country Club series.

Pam said...

You aren't alone with the struggle; I ended up doing a different post.

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
https://readbakecreate.com/bookish-gift-guide-big-spender-edition/

Lydia said...

I agree. Books are very personal things. It’s hard to know what to recommend to someone without knowing them really well! You picked a nice assortment of options, though.

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-would-hand-to-someone-who-claims-to-not-like-reading/

Lori said...

Ah, _The Thorn Birds._ The beginning of my completely inappropriate obsession with fictional priests.


My post—https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/11/02/ttt-books-to-recommend-to-non-readers/

Happy TTT!
Lori

Cindy said...

I enjoy Vanetta Chapman!

Dedra @ A Book Wanderer said...

This was a challenging topic! I have yet to read a cozy mystery. I'm hoping to make that happen sometime this winter. And I just picked up a copy of The Thorn Birds at a thrift store. Hopefully I can pick that one up soon, too. :)

Cheryl said...

I am glad to see others struggled with this topic as well.

Greg, both of those series would be new reads to me. Thanks for mentioning them.

Pam, I loved your post for this week.

Lydia, you had some great ideas on your list.

Lori, it is still one of my favorite books and I can't imagine anyone playing Father Ralph besides Richard Chamberlain.

Cindy, Vannetta is such a fabulous author. I am overdue to read one of her books soon.

Dedra, hope you get to read a cozy mystery soon. They are so much fun. Enjoy The Thorn Birds.

Thanks for stopping by gang.