Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Book Review: Intentional by David Amerland

 

Intentional by David Amerland is a fascinating resource that empowers you to live life intentionally. It brings together all those pieces of our brain that can hold us back so that we can understand motivation, direct our actions, and live life with meaning. 

Though at the start of 2020, I committed myself to living intentionally, I've found it hard to create a life filled with clarity and purpose. I still can't keep a journal going past March. I still don't reach many of my goals. I still don't exercise three times a week. Why is that?

Intentional helps the reader understand why we often don't hit the mark, but rather than give this topic a brush stroke, Amerland digs deep into the science of our brains; our identities, different types of motivations and how to discover our real desires, and how our values and beliefs impact what we do. 

I can't say this is an easy read. It's not a self-help, step-by-step guide. I'm sure I have to go back and re-read some chapters to fully set a plan into action. What will be helpful in that is the summary at the end of each chapter that shares points to remember, followed by questions that the reader answers, and ending in the author providing a top tip. 

No journey to improve is instantaneous. It requires purposeful planning. Intentional can help you get there.

  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ New Line Books (June 23, 2021)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Paperback ‏ : ‎ 218 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1844811697
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1844811694

I received a paperback copy from the author. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

You can purchase Intentional: How to Live, Love, Work and Play Meaningfully at Amazon and Bookshop.org.





6 comments:

David Amerland said...

Thank you so much and I am thrilled it resonated with you. I'm on a personal mission to write even more simply and accessibly on this complex matter and I must admit it is a struggle for me. Opinions such as yours help me gauge what I need to work harder on.

Cheryl said...

You're welcome, David. Complex matters don't always break down into simple writing, but I truly enjoyed your book. Maybe break this down into smaller components to create work along guides--expand upon your questions section and provide more exercises. Do you think that would assist in your mission?

David Amerland said...

Cheryl, it is an approach that is certainly worth following up on and experimenting more with. Thank you so much!

Cheryl said...

You're welcome, David. I'm an editor, so that's where my brain goes...helping authors brainstorm. Good luck!

Martha Eskuchen said...

Hi Cheryl - I have been waiting to read your thoughts on this one. Sounds like it is helpful even if not an easy read. I choose "Intentional" as my word of the year a couple of years back and do not feel I lived up to it. :-/ Still, it helps to be mindful that we make choices all the time.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Martha. I chose that word in 2020 and feel I failed, too. Being mindful is half the battle.