Friday, January 29, 2021

Book Review: Cruising the Mississippi by Al & Sunny Lockwood

 

Climb aboard with Al and Sunny Lockwood as these travel enthusiasts share their time Cruising the Mississippi

As you could tell from my First Chapter Review of this book, I planned to dive right in and read it until the end. Mostly narrated by Sunny, this travel memoir shares the couple's first river cruise adventure. Al offers his thoughts along the way with a style that perfectly complements his wife's. 

Two things drew me to this book: I had seen a real paddlewheeler cruising the Mississippi on vacation in 2014, and the book blurb talking about the interesting history they would encounter along the way. Driving on a bridge taller than I had ever seen scared the heck out of me, but once on the other side, the paddlewheeler fascinated me. And, as you know, I love American history.

Throughout the pages of Cruising the Mississippi, the reader is delighted to read of the Lockwoods' experiences on land and river: the delicious foods, the historical lectures, the entertainment, the shops, the historical landmarks, and even a little surprise that I won't spoil for you.

The Lockwoods have a keen eye for detail, which allows the reader to feel like she is experiencing the cruise right along with them. Photos of historical places, along with photos from the ship, give the reader a glimpse into the beauty they found along the way. 

While it is doubtful someone like me who suffers from aquaphobia would ever engage in such a trip, a cruise such as this one is highly tempting. 

If you enjoy travel memoirs or have an interest in American history, you'll want to read Cruising the Mississippi

ASIN : B07XVPTNGR

Publisher : Front Porch Publishing (October 1, 2019)

Publication date : October 1, 2019

Language : English

File size : 9275 KB

Print length : 188 pages

ISBN-10 : 1642370789

I received a digital copy of this book from the author. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments: