Thursday, April 4, 2019

Interview with Rachel Marie Martin, Author of The Brave Art of Motherhood


Rachel Marie Martin believes in the power of the human spirit to overcome, to thrive and to find deep joy and because of that she pours out her heart via these platforms: she is the writer behind the site FindingJoy.net, partner of BloggingConcentrated.com, co-host of the Amplify Podcast, and a featured writer for The Huffington Post. Her top blog post, "Why Being a Mom is Enough" has surpassed 1.9 million Facebook likes and she has had her articles translated into over 25 languages. Her site reaches millions of visitors and has a robust, engaged Facebook community. Her articles have been featured in The Huffington Post, iVillage, The Today Show, Star Tribune, iVillage, Stuff New Zealand, PopSugar, Parents, What to Expect, Mamalode, NBC Parents, Dr. Greene, and many more. Her first book, "The Brave Art of Motherhood", published by Penguin Random House, was released on October 9, 2018.

She speaks worldwide about a variety of empowering topics ranging from motherhood to social media marketing to website strategy to writing to creating an authentic community. She believes in living each day intentionally and loves working with others to cultivate a vision, realize their potential and see their dreams become a reality.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK


Where did you grow up?

We are from St. Michael, a suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. We moved to Nashville just over two years ago. My folks were church planters, among other things, and are retired now. My extended family still lives in Minnesota, but have grown to love having family in the South to visit during the long winters. The lack of snow been quite a change for the kids, but they have acclimated and look forward to school getting cancelled for the tiniest of reasons.

When did you begin writing?

I’ve always been drawn to computers. I have a memory of my dad purchasing a TI99 desktop computer and teaching me to code. Fast forward to college years and the AOL floppy disk to Yahoo! Groups to the start of blogging. The internet has always been a place for me to connect and became a vessel for my thoughts and words. As stated above, I started writing Finding Joy just about ten years ago. In the beginning, it was a bit of a hobby, but as time went on and it began to grow I gradually made the pivot from hobby to career. And honestly, for the last six years, this has been my full time job for myself, my partner Dan, as well as several others who are part of our team.

What is this book about?

Your heart matters and it’s easy to forget yourself in the middle of motherhood and think that “I’ll take care of myself” tomorrow. But life is short and there is no greater gift to yourself, your family and your friends when you are brave and fight for your heart, purpose and happiness again.



How is it similar to other books in its genre? How is it different?

Well, I think it’s similar in the fact that most motherhood books embrace how much motherhood matters. I can’t think of one book that would ever negate that universal truth. I would say that it differs in the way that it’s not about motherhood as in making a better pot roast or organizing, but is rather about your own heart in the midst of motherhood. It’s a reminder of strength and bravery and is the friend in the motherhood ring with you believing in all you can do and showing you what you have already done.

What is the most important thing readers can learn from your book?

You are a given a choice every day - wait to live fully or dare to live fully - and when you decided that every single day is a gift the decision to fight for that day becomes easy.

Where can readers purchase a copy?

All the usual places of course (ie. Amazon, Barnes&Noble, BAM, Target, Kindle, Audible) and I have autographed copies and special bundles at BraveArtofMotherhood.com

What is up next for you?

Finding Joy is a full-time job and I’m grateful that it’s my life. I will continue writing and continue developing programs that motivate and inspire. I’m hopeful to also continue to speak, to write another book when the opportunity presents, and to start a podcast.



No comments: