Monday, March 10, 2014

First Chapter Review: To Live Forever by Andra Watkins




To Live Forever: An Afterlife Journey of Meriwether Lewis by Andra Watkins is an historical paranormal suspense novel. The author is on tour with Pump Up Your Book this month.

BLURB: Explorer Meriwether Lewis has been stuck in Nowhere since his mysterious death nearly two centuries ago. His last hope for redemption is helping nine-year-old Emmaline Cagney flee her madame mother in New Orleans and find her father in Nashville. To get there, Merry must cross his own grave along the Natchez Trace, where he duels the corrupt Judge, an old foe who has his own despicable plans for Em.

COVER: Not my favorite, but it captures an explorer's world and the era in which Lewis lived, so it does a great job of connecting with an historical figure who is part of the book. I would prefer a smaller font for the title. The busyness of the background design might require a larger font to make the title clear, but maybe a little smaller wouldn't get rid of the feeling it's screaming at you.

FIRST CHAPTER: It is 1977, and nine-year-old Emmaline Cagney sits with Aunt Bertie on a bench outside a hot, steamy New Orleans courtroom. Soon the judge will decide which parent will be awarded custody of the girl, and Emmaline knows who she hopes it will be.

KEEP READING: Yes. I am totally fascinated by this book blurb and a strong first chapter that draws you in from the moment you sit alongside Emmaline on that bench outside the courtroom. Watkins has a keen eye for detail that puts the reader right into the story so she sees what Emmaline sees and hears what she hears. Meeting her in such a vulnerable state endears you to this character and makes you hope everything will turn out all right. If the author can immediately make you feel such emotions, you can only imagine how deeply you will be connected to Emmaline by the time you reach the end. Kudos to Watkins for tugging your heartstrings quickly and pulling the reader so fully into Emmaline's story.


File Size: 2570 KB
Print Length: 311 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0615937470
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Word Hermit Press (February 3, 2014)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B00IA0MWMQ

PURCHASE HERE!

Discuss this book in the PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads by clicking HERE


I’m Andra Watkins. I’m a native of Tennessee, but I’m lucky to call Charleston, South Carolina,
home for 23 years.

I’m the author of To Live Forever: An Afterlife Journey of Meriwether Lewis from Word Hermit Press. It’s a mishmash of historical fiction, paranormal fiction and suspense that follows Meriwether Lewis (of Lewis & Clark fame) after his mysterious death on the Natchez Trace in 1809.

I like:

1 hiking

2 eating (A lot; Italian food is my favorite.)

3 traveling (I never met a destination I didn’t like.)

4 reading (My favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo.)

5 coffee (the caffeinated version) and COFFEE (sex)

6 performing (theater, singing, public speaking, playing piano)

7 time with my friends

8 Sirius XM Chill

9 yoga (No, I can’t stand on my head.)

10 writing in bed

11 candlelight

I don’t like:

1 getting up in the morning

2 cilantro (It is the devil weed.)

3 surprises (For me or for anyone else.)

4 house cleaning

5 cooking

You can email me at readme(at)andrawatkins(dot)com. You can also visit my website at www.andrawatkins.com or follow me on Google+,Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest and Goodreads.

I received the first chapter of this book from the author through Pump Up Your Book. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.


2 comments:

Rowena said...

I love it when an author pulls you in immediately! Thanks for posting.

thewriterslife said...

Thanks so much for your fantastic first chapter review, Cheryl!