Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Friend in the Storm by Cheryl Ricker -- Book Review



An elegant, beautiful book of poetry, scripture, and quotes to inspire hope during times of great need can be found in A Friend in the Storm by Cheryl Ricker.

The uniqueness of this lovely book is that the words are spoken as if coming from Christ to help a reader facing life's difficulties. Each two-page section begins with a poem, followed by a quote, and then a portion of scripture.

I tend to read books such as these when I'm dealing with my daily struggles, and though things have eased up tremendously in the past few days, when I read A Friend in the Storm, I was in the midst of another battle that left me frustrated, angry, and feeling like a failure.

I wanted to remember which portion of the book touched me so deeply, so I used the attached light green ribbon bookmark to set my place at "Your Advocate", which talks about being judged. In this poem, Christ says,

"Don't worry when they judge you;
Only I can judge a heart.
As the Christ who crossed each crisis,
I will barricade each dart."

There is an additional stanza, but this is what I focused on right away, along with the scripture message from Isaiah 66:13 about comfort.

I read A Friend in the Storm in one sitting and knew it would find a special place on my shelf next to my Bibles, as I plan to read it often.

Ricker has put together a wonderful, inspiring book that makes the perfect gift for anyone who is struggling through the depths of loss and despair. Its small size (5.8 x 5.7 x 0.5 inches) allows you to tuck it into a bag so it can be brought anywhere, and the stunning cover and interior artwork will have you searching out a place in your home to display it for others to pick up and be touched by its soothing words.

You'll feel blessed by reading A Friend in the Storm by Cheryl Ricker.



Title: A Friend in the Storm
Author: Cheryl Ricker
Publisher: Zondervan (August 6, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0310519934
ISBN-13: 978-0310519935
SRP: $12.99

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thank you, Cheryl, for sharing your thoughts about "A Friend in the Storm." The fact that it spoke to you personally is just another reminder that it was worth the five years it took to write it.

I'm humbled and honored that you keep it next to your Bible. As you know, "A Friend in the Storm" is filled with a lot of great Scripture promises that are worth memorizing. Thanks to your sharing, I'm sure its healing truth will find its way into even more people's hearts!

Many blessings to you!

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another book that I will want to read. Thanks for sharing your review of the book. Have a great day!