Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Top 5 Tuesday - Top 5… Fave Characters F-J



Top 5 Tuesday is a weekly meme that explores different topics. Originally created by Shanah at Bionic Book Worm, it is now hosted by Meeghan at Meeghan Reads. For a list of September topics you can click here. To participate, link your post back to Meeghan's blog or leave a comment on her weekly post.


September will prove to be a challenge for me, but I'll do my best.


Top 5… Fave Characters F-J





We meet Finnick Odair in Catching Fire. Mentored by Mags, a previous District 4 victor, he is wildly popular in the Capitol. The fact that Finnick ends up being way more than expected when you first meet him makes him a favorite and makes his death in Mockingjay even more tragic.


I grew up watching how the Grinch with his heart two sizes too small is transformed after he steals everything from the Who's Christmas and they still celebrate. Just like my other holiday favorite, Ebeneezer Scrooge, the Grinch learns a valuable lesson about the joy of Christmas. Perhaps the best part--other than this heart growing three sizes that day--is what the Grinch figured out--"Maybe Christmas...doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more?"


You first meet Harry Potter as a young orphan mistreated by his aunt, uncle, and cousin. His fortune swiftly changes when he discovers he is a wizard. But does it? Through the next six books, Harry experiences many challenges and more tragic losses as he moves closer to fulfilling his destiny of meeting Lord Voldemort in an epic battle. 


The Invisible Man may seem like an odd choice, but hear me out. Griffin is a scientist who develops a serum to render himself invisible. What Griffin believes to be an incredible scientific discovery, soon presents challenges he did not imagine. He arrives at an inn, where he soon becomes the talk of the town. He's running out of money and his landlady is pressuring him to pay his rent and get out. Griffin becomes desperate. He seeks help from others and is betrayed. He descends into madness and ultimately dies after being beaten by a mob. The psychology of this character is what draws me to him. 


I think I read more of The Hardy Boys than I did Nancy Drew in my early days. Joe Hardy picked up most of his detective skills from his father. He is good at sports, attends church, and seems to have a knack for fixing their van's mechanical issues. He's a bit impulsive, which attracts me to him as a character. Good thing his brother Frank is more cautious.

What do you think of my choices? Do we share any of the same ones?

3 comments:

Meeghan reads said...

Oh, I totally forgot about Finnick!! Poor guy... And I love that you had the Grinch!! 😂
Great list!! I really enjoyed this one.

Beware Of The Reader said...

Finnick and Harry! Why didn't I think if them???

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Meeghan. I still love the Grinch.

Beware of the Reader, those two and the Grinch were the easiest for me. The other two were tough. I've read a lot over five decades.