Thursday, May 7, 2020

Books from the Backlog - May 7


Books from the Backlog is hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books. It is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread. If you are anything like me, you might be surprised by some of the unread books hiding in your stacks.

To join in, visit the weekly link at Carole's blog to enter the link to your post. Then spend time visiting some of the other posts.

This week's neglected book

Three lives are bound by a single book . . . and the cleansing waters of Molasses Creek.

Having traveled to the ends of the earth as a flight attendant, Ally Green has finally returned to the Lowcountry to bury her father as well as the past. But Vesey Washington is still living across the creek, and theirs is a complicated relationship--he was once her best friend . . . and also part of the reason she's stayed away so long. When Ally discovers a message her father left behind asking her to quit running, it seems her past isn't through with her yet.

As Ally's wandering spirit wrestles with a deep longing to flee again, a young woman on the other side of the world escapes her life of slavery in the rock quarries of Nepal. A mysterious sketchbook leads Sunila Kunari to believe there's more to her story than she's ever been told, and she's determined to follow the truth wherever it leads her.

A deep current intertwines the lives of these three souls, and a destiny of freedom, faith, and friendship awaits them all on the banks of Molasses Creek.


I think I won a copy of this book when it first came out. It sounds like something I would be interested in since I enjoy books where a character's past plays a prominent role in the plot. It's not calling to me right now, though. I'll see how things go. This might end up being donated.


7 comments:

Bea's Book Nook said...

Sounds complicated but interesting. I also donate books I no longer want. Someone out there will enjoy it.

My Backlog Post.

Sophia Rose said...

Sometimes it can sound interesting, but never quite grab you. You're doing great to hand off the ones that you are pretty sure won't get read. :)

I like the ones where there is a complicated past history to them, too.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I like books with connections, so this one sounds tempting. Thanks for sharing.

Carole's Random Life said...

This sounds interesting. I do wonder about their past and how it connects to what is going on in Nepal. I have lost interest in more than a few books over the years and sometimes passing it on to someone else is the thing to do. I hope you enjoy it if you do decide to read it.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, everyone.

You're right Bea, if it's not for me someone else will want it.

Sophia, I've really worked hard the last couple of years to donate what I won't read. I had another small group of books slated to go over to the library when COVID-19 hit. They aren't accepting books right now, but they are going out as soon as the library reopens.

Laurel, this one is tempting, but when I read the synopsis again it didn't capture me the way it first did. :(

I agree, Carole. Better to let someone else read it than hold onto it.

Hope you all have a great week.

sherry fundin said...

hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it
sherry @ fundinmental

Literary Feline said...

Beyond Molasses Creek sounds like an interesting read. If you do read it, I hope you like it. And if you donate it, that's okay too! It's about time I go through mine again and weed out ones to donate. I do that every now and then to keep my shelves from overflowing too much. Interests and tastes do change over time.

I hope you have a great week.