Monday, November 4, 2019

Book Review: The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi

If you are a writer, The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi should be in your toolbox.

In this updated version you'll find 131 entries of various emotions. Each emotion is defined. Then there is a list of physical signals and behaviors, followed by internal sensations and mental responses. You'll also find acute or long-term responses for each emotion, signs the emotion is being suppressed, and associated power verbs (so helpful when you want to eliminate adverbs).

The Emotion Thesaurus opens with a ton of helpful information discussing topics like the power of emotion, the importance of character research, and how to use dialogue to write emotion.

I am embarrassed to admit I've had this book for almost a year. In my defense, however, I wanted to see how it would work for me as an author and an editor. Did it make sense? Could it offer valuable information I would use regularly? Would I find better ways to express my characters' emotions? The answer is a definite yes.

In the time that I've had The Emotion Thesaurus, I've used it more than once to develop my characters' emotions and express them in new ways that have improved my writing. I recently finished a large editing project, and I discovered the more I referred to The Emotion Thesaurus the better each chapter read. Once I was done, I went back to the earlier chapters where I hadn't used it and improved upon them.

The book also includes a list of recommended reading to help you hone your craft further.

There is no doubt in my mind The Emotion Thesaurus is a must have for writers everywhere. It is available in printed and digital formats.

File Size: 8579 KB
Print Length: 304 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: JADD Publishing; 2 edition (February 19, 2019)
Publication Date: February 19, 2019
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B07MTQ7W6Q

I received a digital copy of this book from the authors. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments: