Wednesday, February 10, 2016

"Waiting On" Wednesday: Heroines of Mercy Street by Pamela D. Toler



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

My pick for this week is:


I've become totally hooked on this six-part mini-series. Being a Civil War buff, I am so glad I stumbled upon the show in my Facebook feed. I was able to catch up on the past three episodes thanks to my Amazon Prime membership. When I heard about this book, I pre-ordered it right away. 

The true stories of the real nurses on the PBS show Mercy Street

The nurses of the Civil War ushered in a new era for medicine in the midst of tremendous hardship. While the country was at war, these women not only learned to advocate and care for patients in hostile settings, saved countless lives, and changed the profession forever, they regularly fell ill with no one to nurse them in return, seethed in anger at the indifference and inefficiency that left wounded men on the battlefield without care, and all too often mourned for those they could not rescue.

Heroines of Mercy Street tells the true stories of the nurses at Mansion House, the Alexandria, Virginia, hotel turned wartime hospital and setting for the PBS show Mercy Street. Women like Dorothea Dix, Mary Phinney, Anne Reading, and more rushed to be of service to their country during the war, meeting challenges that would discourage less determined souls every step of the way. They saw casualties on a scale Americans had never seen before; diseases like typhoid and dysentery were rampant; and working conditions-both physically and emotionally--were abysmal.

Drawing on the diaries, letters, and books written by these nursing pioneers, Pamela D. Toler, PhD, has written a fascinating portrait of true heroines, shining a light on their personal contributions during one of our country's most turbulent periods.

What are you "waiting on" this week?

1 comment:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This sounds like a fabulous book! I haven't seen the show, but I can see why you would enjoy it.

Here's mine: “THE GIRL IN THE RED COAT”