Monday, November 3, 2014
Musing Mondays - November 3
Musing Mondays is a weekly meme from MizB at Should Be Reading. It asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
I'm answering a series of questions I found at Cleopatra Loves Books.
1. What do you use for a bookmark?
I have a large stash of bookmarks in my office--most of them freebies that come with review books. If for some crazy reason I am too lazy to go up to my office to get one, any scrap of paper will do until I replace it with an actual bookmark. My craziest bookmark--a BAND-AID wrapper.
2. Do you ever mark (dog-ear, highlight, underline, write in, etc.) your books? If you do, what kind of things do you do?
Dog ear a book? Smack me if I ever get the urge to mistreat a book in such a fashion. Sometimes with non-fiction titles I will highlight passages, but never fiction.
3. Outside of GoodReads, do you have a system for tracking your books? (i.e., somewhere that you keep track of what you read, what to buy, what is on your TBR shelf, etc.?)
I've had an Excel spreadsheet going at least since 2008. Every year I take the number of books left in my TBR pile (probably 600 or so now) and insert them into a new spreadsheet. This way, as I add in review dates I can easily know how many books I have read each year.
4. Do you ever flip to the end before you start a book to find out how it ends?
Only if I am so bored with the book I just want to know how it ends so I can put it away.
5. Do you judge a book by its cover?
All the time. I am drawn to the book cover first. Then I'll check out the back cover blurb.