Friday, June 13, 2014

Interview with Jermaine Gadson, Author of Tactics, Trends, and Traits of the Enemy


Jermaine Gadson is the founding pastor of Faith Ministries, Inc. in Birmingham, AL. He earned a B.A. in Religion with a concentration in Congregational Studies and a minor in Classics from Samford University in Birmingham, AL., and a Master of Divinity degree from Samford University’s Beeson Divinity School. He is currently pursuing a Doctor of Ministry degree and hosts a local weekly television broadcast called Interceding for the City. He blogs on church leadership, Christian living and spiritual warfare at www.JermaineGadson.com. Follow him on Twitter @AuthorJGadson or Like him on Facebook.com/AuthorJermaineGadson.

Where did you grow up?

I was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama. When I was four years old my family moved into a brand new home in Fairfield which is a city next to Birmingham, and that is where I grew up. The house we lived in when I was born and the house I grew up in are less than fifteen minutes in driving distance apart. I have spent my entire life so far living in the greater Birmingham area.

When did you begin writing?

I started writing poetry as a child. I have always been a lover of books from as early as I can remember. When I was younger I even attempted to write my own story book. I began having an interest and desire to write professionally, though, while I was in graduate school. Since then I have started or come up with different ideas for writing projects. This is actually my first published book, but the interest has been there for quite some time.

What is this book about?

Tactics, Trends, and Traits, of the Enemy is about equipping people with the knowledge and wisdom to overcome various struggles in life that are a direct result of spiritual adversity. This book takes the spookiness out of spiritual warfare by exposing the Enemy's strategies that present themselves in struggles that people face every day, that they may not be aware of as demonic attacks. I deal with tactics that the Enemy uses against Christians, non-Christians, and humanity in general. It is filled with stories, principles, and practical information to help people live up to their God-given potential.

What inspired you to write it?

The inspiration for the book came from reflecting on my own life and some of the experiences that I have had, thinking about questions and concerns that I have encountered in providing pastoral counseling to others, as well as gleaning from a Bible study series that I taught at my church. I wrote this book to help people discern between what is a struggle that is normative to everyday life from one that is demonic and diabolical. The best way to defeat your enemy, is to know your enemy. The book exposes the enemy, and equips us to overcome his tactics.

How is it similar to other books in its genre? How is it different?

This book is similar to other books in the genre because it draws from personal experience, as well as the Bible, to illustrate the message that is being conveyed.

My book is different from other books on the market that deal with spiritual warfare because this book takes the spookiness and scariness out of spiritual warfare. Other books may emphasize the demonic in a way that deals solely with exorcisms and things of that nature. This book attempts to show how spiritual warfare is actually present in some of our everyday challenges, and how to overcome them. This book also focuses on specific things that keep the gospel from advancing in people's lives. This is a very practical and relevant book that literally anybody can read and benefit from. This book is written in such a way that even persons who may not be familiar with the topic will be able to get a lot from it.

What is the most important thing readers can learn from your book?

The most important thing readers can learn from the book is that we have victory over every assault and attack of the enemy by the power that is available to us in Jesus Christ. The central message is that knowing the enemy and his devices, equips us to fight against him and be more successful. People perish because of the lack of knowledge. You do not have to accept every challenge that rears its head in your life. You can effectively fight back and overcome, when you know the source of your struggle.

Where can readers purchase a copy?

Readers can purchase a copy of the book online by visiting my website www.JermaineGadson.com, or Amazon.com. They can also purchase a copy anywhere books are sold, including their local LifeWay Christian bookstore.

What is up next for you?

Next, I plan to develop a curriculum to go along with the book. I believe that having a study companion to the book would make it of greater use and more attractive for churches, ministries, small group Bible studies, and discipleship groups to use it collectively, in addition to the individual reading the book on their own. I am also preparing to write a second book that will hopefully be released by next year.

Is there anything you would like to add?

Tactics, Trends, and Traits of the Enemy is a one of a kind resource. It has an appeal to people of various religious and denominational affiliations. No matter who you are or where you are from this book will be a blessing to you. Please visit my website, www.JermaineGadson.com, to receive up-to-date information on our work, and connect with us through social media on Twitter and Facebook.


No comments: