Monday, March 17, 2014
Musing Mondays - March 17
This is a weekly meme run by Miz B of Should be Reading.
Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
First of all, happy St. Patrick's Day. Hope you're having a great one.
Today, I am going on a mini-rant about my own overloaded schedule. Ever have one of those weeks where you really want to read, plan to read, know you have to read to stay on top of things, but it simply won't come? You're distracted. Your mind is off in a million different directions and you either stare at the same page for 10 minutes or get to the end of a chapter and can't remember a darn thing you've read.
That's where I am right now. I'm reading Steam and Stratagem, but even though the first chapter was strong with a great hook, I'm languishing five chapters in. It's not the book's fault. Though I've never read steampunk before, that's not the issue. I've read other books by Chris Hoare, so I know he's an excellent storyteller. The characters are interesting. The plot engaging. It's got a bit of humor. I simply can't get my wandering mind to focus on it. I'm hoping once my real estate exam is over on Wednesday and I know if I've passed, that my mind will be freer to enjoy this book the way it deserves.
Has this ever happened to you?