Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Goals/Resolutions For 2014


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


Top Ten Goals/Resolutions For 2014 (bookish, not bookish or a blend)

What a great way to start off the new year, when goals are so much on everyone's minds. I wrote the major ones down at my personal blog on December 31st, so I will share those first and then move on from there.


  • Daily Bible reading between 8 and 8:30 a.m. I wanted to add daily Bible reading to my schedule in 2013, but I didn't stick to it. I now realize, if I don't do it first thing in the morning, it won't happen. Once I am on the computer and working, time slips away. Bible reading before I go to my office makes more sense. I'll give myself a break on Sundays since we attend church and I teach Sunday school. 
  • Reduce blogging/reviewing duties. Up until the last quarter of 2011, my blogging and reviewing schedule was manageable. Then I forgot how to say no to people. I took on too many requests. More virtual book tour companies contacted me and I started hosting more authors. That's why my personal blog got neglected. That's why I stopped writing new books in June. That's why I planned to participate in Picture Book Idea Month in November and didn't even manage one idea. I simply had too much on my plate. So, I'm reducing the number of virtual book tours I participate in for 2014 and I'm focusing on my TBR pile instead of taking on new requests. Rest assured with the more than 300 books on my TBR spreadsheet--and that's only the ones I've listed--I'll have plenty to keep The Book Connection going. 
  • Complete the first draft of my middle grade historical, Amelia's Mission, by February 28th. This might be ambitious. It needs a lot of work and I haven't looked at it in a while. I'm about 14 chapters in, so I don't think this goal is unrealistic, but it could be tough while searching for a part-time job.
  • Research one new publisher/agent a month. I want to submit more often. I've started this year right by sending off a query to my current publisher already. I have several picture books written and a few of them are ready to go. I simply need to find appropriate houses for them or secure agent representation.
  • Write one short story for submission each quarter. Again, this is ambitious. I'm not really fond of short stories, but they will make me a better writer overall, and they could help me increase my writing income if I follow through on submitting more often.
  • As for this blog, I would like to incorporate a bit more nonfiction than I did in 2013. I read nonfiction exclusively for years. It wasn't until I began blogging that I started reading so much fiction. I have several titles here that fit the bill, so I'm looking for a better balance between the two.
  • Move some features over to genre specific blogs. As I mentioned a week or so ago, I now have a Christian book blog and a romance book blog. I created a mystery/suspense novel/thriller blog recently. Once it is populated, I'll be using that more. Eventually, I would like to see those blogs take over these genres and use this one for the other genres I enjoy. I might, however, double up some posts. It all depends on the traffic the new blogs draw in. I also plan to keep my children's book blog going. 
  • Read more middle grade fiction. This is a market I plan to write for more often in the future, so I need to be sure I stay in touch with what's out there. 
  • Take drawing lessons. This probably won't happen, but it's something I would really like to do. I have several books here, but in class lessons would be more helpful.
  • Attend the Little House on the Prairie Cast Reunion in Walnut Grove, MN this July. They are celebrating the 40th anniversary of the show this year. So sad that many of the cast have already left us (Michael Landon, Kevin Hagen, Dabbs Greer, Merlin Olsen Ruth Foster, Victor French, Karl Swenson, Steve Tracy, etc.)
Hope you'll share some of your goals for 2014 with us.

1 comment:

Cecelia said...

Reading middle grade is on my list of resolutions, too. Love your list - best of luck meeting those goals!

Thanks for visiting my TTT post today!