Friday, January 17, 2014

First Chapter Review: The Strangers on Montagu Street by Karen White



I purchased the third book in Karen White's Tradd Street series over a year ago with some gift cards I received. The first two books in this series captivated me, so I was eager to read this one; but I was so far behind in reviews when the book came out, I declined taking it on when the publicist offered it to me for review. This is one of the books I want to read soon, especially since the fourth book in the series, Return to Tradd Street, just came out this month.

BLURB:  Psychic realtor Melanie Middleton is still restoring her Charleston house and doesn't expect to have a new houseguest, a teen girl named Nola. But the girl didn't come alone, and the spirits that accompanied Nola don't seem willing to leave...

COVER: Like all of the books in this series, a house graced with Southern charm and elegance is featured on the cover. And if you know anything about this series, that charm and elegance belies the evil spirits hidden inside. This cover is a bit darker than the others, so it adds to the ominous feel.

FIRST CHAPTER: Melanie is awoken early one morning to find writer Jack Trenholm on the doorstep of her Tradd Street home--the one still being restored and costing her tons of money. He has not come alone, however. His estranged daughter, Nola, is with him. Still working through the challenges of becoming an instant father, he begs Melanie to allow Nola to stay with her over the summer.

KEEP READING: Yes, yes, yes! Why haven't I made room to read this book before now? All the things I love about this series are present from the very first words of The Strangers on Montagu Street. Immediately hooked, the mystery, conflict, and hint of the spirits that will arrive later are all here. White has the uncanny ability to draw you in immediately and not let you go. I'm sure this will be the case again if the story continues along the same vein.

If you love paranormal stories and are captivated by Southern living, you won't want to miss this one.


Series: Tradd Street (Book 3)
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: NAL Trade; 1 edition (November 1, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0451235266
ISBN-13: 978-0451235268


I purchased this book from Amazon. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments: