Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This week I'm sharing books from ten authors who were new to me in 2013--in no particular order.


Last of the Seals by Greg Messel blends mystery, romance, and baseball.


This is one of my favorite reads of the year. Reconstructing Jackson by Holly Bush is outstanding. The author captured the difficulties of the Reconstruction Era brilliantly and I never wanted to put the book down.


Fans of The Hunger Games trilogy should check out The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch. My daughter won this from last year's summer reading program at our library. She loves dystopian fiction, so I knew it would be a hit with her. This one didn't disappoint.



Untimed by Andy Gavin is a gripping story with tons of action. Though I didn't like the physical relationship between the teenage main characters, in every way this is a fast-paced, time-traveling adventure story.



Michael Bigham, author of Harkness, is one of my former clients through Pump Up Your Book. This novel is an edgy western mystery and Bigham's debut novel. The author delivered a solid story with an explosive conclusion. I can't wait for Bigham's next release.


Tremolo: cry of the loon is a Gus LeGarde Mystery from Aaron Paul Lazar. He has a series featuring Gus as an adult, but Tremolo introduces readers to a teenage Gus. I enjoyed this young adult mystery so much that when the second book in this series was released, I quickly signed up to review it.


My love of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens led me to review A Christmas Carol 2: The Return of Scrooge by Robert J. Elisberg. A tongue-in-cheek look into what happens after Scrooge's death, several characters from other Dickens novels appear.


While I definitely know who Michael Landon Jr. is, I have never read one of his books. Traces of Mercy allowed me to explore a time period I enjoy (Civil War) and authors that are new to me.



I fell in love with Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series on Hallmark Channel, which led me to read the first book in the series. I hope next year I have time to read more of them.


I'm not a big vampire novel fan, but when the author contacted me about reading this one, insisting it wasn't your typical vampire novel, I figured I would give it a shot. It took me a while to get to it, but I am so glad I did. Fast-paced and exciting, this mesmerizing novel is filled with tons of action, witty banter, and a dash of romance. I highly recommend this one.

No comments: