Thursday, October 10, 2013

Interview with Keith Domingue, Author of LUTHECKER


Keith Domingue is a screenwriter living in Los Angeles, and has written scripts for MGM Studios, Dimension Films, and Village Roadshow Pictures. His first original screenplay ONE THIRD, is being produced by Safady Entertainment and Lions Gate Films, and is scheduled to begin production in 2014. LUTHECKER is his first novel.

Find Keith on Facebook.


Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I grew up in Vermont, a long way from current home in Los Angeles. I didn’t start writing until I was in my mid-twenties. I’ve had a variety of vocations—Product Engineer/Tech for IBM, Financial Consultant for Merrill Lynch and Bear Stearns, to name a couple.

Martial arts was a passion of mine for over two decades.

Along with writing, I currently have a small post-rehab and fitness practice.

When did you begin writing?

I think it began with being a voracious reader before becoming a writer.

When I was a kid, I had the big comic book collection-- mostly Marvel and DC stuff, along with several Sci-Fi and fantasy books. Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara series, along with Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game comes to mind. And a bit later on, Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series was a favorite.

The call to write didn’t come for me until I was in my twenties. I had spent time as a product engineer for IBM, a financial consultant for Bear Stearns, and a martial arts instructor. Like most in their twenties, I was searching.

I had a close friend who was a screenwriter, and I bought his laptop. It had Final Draft on it, the screenwriter’s software, and I started tinkering with it. Once I did, I just knew. I had no idea what I was in for, and how much work it would be, however. But the discipline that martial arts had instilled in me was a transferable skill set. For two years, I basically apprenticed under my friend before I felt both my craftsmanship and story ideas were mature enough to introduce to the professional environment.

It came full circle when I had the opportunity to work with comic book icon Stan Lee, several years ago.

What is this book about?

I’ve always been fascinated by intuition and how we all to some degree can predict the outcome of other people’s (but not often our own) decisions. At least we feel that we can. I wanted to take that concept and create a character with the ability to do exactly that with an uncanny degree of accuracy.

In LUTHECKER, the main character Alex Luthecker, can read patterns of behavior and the habits of an individual to the degree that he can predict the outcome of their life, up until and including when and how they will die.

It created an interesting character, in that Alex vacillates between isolation and participation in the world, depending on the circumstance. Of course, others in the world would see him as an asset to their own cause, and he must choose exactly who and what cause he will align himself with.

Who are your biggest supporters?

My biggest supporters are my family, and my circle of close friends, who are like family to me. They all are both encouraging and honest with me, which is greatly appreciated.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

I’m not currently a member of a critique group, but I do have three “go to” writing professionals that I turn to for feedback.

Who is your favorite author?

That’s a tough one. I’ll name the biggest influences: Neil Gaiman, James Elroy, Stan Lee.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

I am currently repped by a management / production company in the film and television mediums. They rep my book in that regard, and we are in the process of turning LUTHECKER into a television series. Crossing my fingers on this one!

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

I would say it was a fascinating ride. I chose to self publish, so it was a learning process the entire way. I absolutely loved the freedom of it.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

I would have begun the social media / marketing campaign before I actually published the book. But I’m happy with the results thus far.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Amazon.com. Here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/Luthecker-ebook/dp/B008OXS9QM

Check out some of the reviews!

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

I am a bit behind on the website and blog elements of self-promotion, but stay tuned! Until then, you can find both me and my novel fan page on Facebook.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Keep writing!

What is up next for you?

Currently, I’m working on the sequel to LUTHECKER and on the development of the TV series.





No comments: