Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Interview with O.S. Gill, Author of The Knights of Galaria


O.S. Gill grew up on the Caribbean island of Barbados. He was educated at The Lodge School, a 300-year-old former British boarding school and the second oldest learning institution on the island. A certified information technology professional, he has worked for The Banks Holdings Limited, a local conglomerate that owns the local brewery (Banks Beer) and Coca-Cola manufacturing plant for fourteen years. A Systems Analyst, he has been positioned in various capacities, primarily dealing with sales and distribution, as well as the sourcing and implementation of new technologies to further business efficiency. He always had a passion for writing and published his first novel, THE KNIGHTS OF GALARIA: THE CRYSTALS OF POWER, in 2012.

You can visit his website at www.osgill.com.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I am a father of two. I have been working in the beverage industry for fourteen years. I love sci-fi and fantasy. And I try to play as many sports as I can, at least once.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up on the Caribbean island of Barbados.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

My fondest childhood memory is flying kites on the pasture behind my home.

When did you begin writing?

I began writing in 2011.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write whenever I can.

What is this book about?

It is about a team of young knights on a distant world called Galaria. On the day of their graduation from the Knight Academy, there is an assassination attempt on the keynote speaker. This gives them their first assignment: to find out who is responsible. From there this leads to a much greater adventure that finds them travelling all across Galaria in pursuit of the main antagonist.

What inspired you to write it?


Well I knew I wanted to write a swashbuckling adventure set deep in space. That was my aim from the beginning. From there the characters and the world just started to take shape.

Who is your biggest supporter?

My friends definitely are!

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

Informally. I had a few key people read my work and give me their notes before it was ready to be published.

Who is your favorite author?

J.R.R. Tolkien.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

I don’t have one at this time. I haven’t actively tried looking for one for a while.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

Well, seeing that I am self-published, there was a lot more leg work involved in getting this novel to market. But it was worth it in the end.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

Not a single thing. It was fun all the way.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

They can get the ebook here: http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Galaria-Crystals-Power-ebook/dp/B0075LZ5MA

Or the printed copy from here: - https://www.createspace.com/3793226

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

I would have to say hiring a publicist. They have so much more experience in producing exposure.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

As cliché as it is, never give up. Always work hard and see your project through till the end.

What is up next for you?

The second novel in this series.

Is there anything you would like to add?

Only that this entire interview has been a pleasure. And I would encourage all of your readers to pick up a copy of The Knights of Galaria. They will totally love it!


No comments: