Friday, May 24, 2013

First Chapter Review: The Rockin' Chair by Steven Manchester


The first chapter of The Rockin' Chair by Steven Manchester was sent to me by the author. This book is available for pre-order at Amazon.

BLURB:  Memories are the ultimate contradiction. They can warm us on our coldest days – or they can freeze a loved one out of our lives forever. The McCarthy family has a trove of warm memories. Of innocent first kisses. Of sumptuous family meals. Of wondrous lessons learned at the foot of a rocking chair. But they also have had their share of icy ones. Of words that can never be unsaid. Of choices that can never be unmade. Of actions that can never be undone.

Following the death of his beloved wife, John McCarthy – Grandpa John – calls his family back home. It is time for them to face the memories they have made, both warm and cold. Only then can they move beyond them and into the future.

A rich portrait of a family at a crossroad, THE ROCKIN' CHAIR is Steven Manchester’s most heartfelt and emotionally engaging novel to date. If family matters to you, it is a story you must read.

COVER: I love it. All of the covers of Steven's books have been nice. I was looking through them at his publisher's website and see they all have a chair in them. Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but here it works well because of the title and because of the rustic feel that speaks to the setting.

FIRST CHAPTER: As Alice hides herself, her memories wander from the days of her childhood to the days when she is gray-haired and liver-spotted. But then Elle shows up and tells her it's time to go home.

KEEP READING: This is a tough one for me, because I was fairly confused through most of the first chapter. I've already read some of Manchester's work, so I know he can deliver. I feel the opening chapter is intentionally vague to relay the confusion Alice feels as she sits waiting in terror. She appears to be suffering from dementia, though that is not stated. I can only guess based upon the last paragraph of the chapter. Manchester offers the reader a lot of emotion in this opener, which is not surprising because he writes about family ties. I would definitely continue for at least another chapter, because I feel once I understand exactly what is happening, I'll be eager to continue.


Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Story Plant, The (June 18, 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 161188067X
ISBN-13: 978-1611880670


I received the first chapter of this book from the author. This review contains my honest opinions, for which I have not been compensated in any way.

No comments: