Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: Season for Miracles by Marilyn Pappano

A touching seasonal romance comes to you from Marilyn Pappano.

Emilie Dalton flees Boston with her nieces and nephew rather than let them be placed into the same broken foster care system that complicated her life. Lost while driving in a snowstorm, Emilie and the children arrive in the small town of Bethlehem. Taking refuge in a vacant old Victorian home, the neighbors assume she is the mysterious owner finally coming to claim the house that has been empty since the death of Miriam Pierce. In order to keep the children safe and cared for, Emilie plays along with the charade, making friends and melting the heart of police officer Nathan Bishop. But what will happen if everyone finds out the truth?

I decided to read this book after seeing the Hallmark movie based upon it. You can read my review of the movie here. I am surprised how closely the movie followed the book. There are some changes: Emilie's last name is Thompson instead of Dalton; there are only two kids in the movie--Alanna and J.T.--whereas the book has two girls--Alanna and Josie--along with a brother named Brendan; and I don't recall there being a full explanation as to how and why Nathan ended up in Bethlehem. The presence of the angel is also clearer in the movie than in the book.

Some of the reviews I've read of Season for Miracles said they liked the movie better. I felt the movie storyline was a bit clearer, but Pappano has written a heartwarming story of one woman's unconditional love that is pushed to every limit. Emilie doesn't want to lie to everyone, but she has so few choices if she wants to keep the children out of foster care--a system she knows well, and one that practically destroyed her and definitely destroyed her sister, Berry, who has become a drug addict looking for love in all the wrong places.

From the moment I opened the book, I was captivated. Part of that was because I knew the story, but more of it was because I wanted to experience the characters the way the author fully intended. Pappano totally captured me with this romantic tale of the season. The book contains some sex scenes that weren't part of the Hallmark movie. I didn't find them necessary, since those scenes didn't have a great impact on the overall story. Nathan and Emilie's connection went deeper than their physical relationship, and with talk of God and the presence of the angel so important to how everything is resolved, that aspect of the book threw me off a bit.

If you get a chance to read Season for Miracles it will touch your heart.

Mass Market Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Warner Books (December 1997)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0446603562
ISBN-13: 978-0446603560

I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. This review contains my honest opinions, for which I have not been compensated in any way.

No comments: