Thursday, October 25, 2012

Interview with Patrick Greene, Author of Progeny




Some dark serendipity plopped a young Patrick Greene in front of a series of ever stranger films-and experiences-in his formative years, leading to a unique viewpoint. His odd interests have led to pursuits in film acting, paranormal investigation, martial arts, quantum physics, bizarre folklore and eastern philosophy. These elements flavor his screenplays and fiction works, often leading to strange and unexpected detours designed to keep viewers and readers on their toes.

Literary influences range from Poe to Clive Barker to John Keel to a certain best selling Bangorian. Suspense, irony, and outrageously surreal circumstances test the characters who populate his work, taking them and the reader on a grandly bizarre journey into the furthest realms of darkness. The uneasy notion that reality itself is not only relative but indeed elastic- is the hallmark of Greene’s writing.

Living in the rural periphery of Asheville North Carolina with his wife Jennifer, son Gavin and an ever-growing army of cats, Greene still trains in martial arts when he’s not giving birth to demons via his pen and keyboard.

www.patrickcgreene.com
www.facebook.com/patrickcgreene
www.amazon.com/author/patrickgreene
www.goodreads.com/patrickcgreene


Where did you grow up?

I was raised in rural Western North Carolina, just outside of Asheville. After some moving around, I live there now.

When did you begin writing?

I have always been writing! Even before I knew how. I would draw pictures to tell stories when I was a tyke. In elementary school, as I learned to piece together words, I started making and selling my own comic books. If you ever wanted to see what would happen if Godzilla fought Gorgo, or if The Six Million Dollar Man went to the Planet of The Apes, I had comics that would answer those questions. Guess I owe some royalties to a lot of studios.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

Mostly at night-as in midnight to dawn! But for PROGENY, my writing hours were all over the map. A few hours in the afternoon, then another stretch later in the evening, generally.

What is this book about?

PROGENY is a tense tale about a group of hunters being stalked by enraged apelike monsters during a stormy night. The hunters are forced to seek shelter with a reclusive writer. The hunters and the writer have long been at odds—now they have to work together to face the terrifying outside threat of the creatures. There’s a hint of Moby Dick, a dash of Predator, and smidge of Gorgo. Monster fanatics will love it.


What inspired you to write it?

I’ve long been interested in Bigfoot and other cryptids, and really, anything you can call a monster. Being a writer myself, I sometimes find it difficult to fit in with the rest of the world. Both the writer and the monsters are outsiders in a sense. Man against nature is probably the oldest story conflict one can conceive, and adding the mystery of an unknown animal to that mix is very appealing to me and hopefully to millions and millions of readers out there!

Who is your favorite character from the book?

I really enjoyed writing Byron, the son of Zane, who is the leader of the hunters. Byron’s a fifteen year old kid with all the turmoil that entails, plus much more. His father has decided he’s ready to become a man, but he has very specific ideas about what that means; ideas that are very much in opposition to what Byron wants.

When they come under siege from the sasquatches, the issues between father and son are amplified as Byron witnesses his father’s leadership essentially dissolving in the face of this unimaginable threat.


Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

I have to say, all thanks to my publisher Hobbes End, it’s been smooth as silk. I began my relationship with them via a collection they produced called THE ENDLANDS VOLUME 1, for which they accepted a couple of my stories. They encouraged me to take a shot at a novel. I’d been mostly doing short stories and screenplays up till then, so even though it seemed daunting, I went ahead and tackled it. It was an amazingly fulfilling experience, and I’m grateful to Hobbes End for their encouragement!

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

Honestly, I would have tried my hand at a novel a long time ago if I knew just how meaningful an experience it can be. I love screenwriting, but there are fewer limitations with a novel.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

It’s easy to buy (via Amazon) through my website, www.PatrickCGreene.com , or through my publishers at www.hobbesendpublishing.com.

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

I don’t have a trailer for PROGENY, but there is a movie teaser trailer available on-line for a recent screenplay I wrote http://ashotgunwedding.com/watch-the-teaser/

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

I’m lucky to have Hobbes End taking care of most of that, but I’m trying to do my part by spreading the word on facebook, twitter, etc. My amazing wife Jennifer has taken to managing me and she’s doing a lot of stuff with Goodreads, Barnes & Noble, Amazon and other venues. She’s also setting up local signings, to which I’m really looking forward!

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

I know a good dozen or so people with the talent, who just won’t write. There are a lot of excuses -short attention span, fear of rejection letters- that I find hard to fathom. So I’d say: Accept no excuses. Make no excuses. Get down to the business of writing, no matter what anyone says, and no matter what’s in the way.

What is up next for you?

I’m still in the screenwriting biz. I’m two drafts into a suspense drama called A SHOTGUN WEDDING. There’s a website for it: www.ashotgunwedding.com, then I’m on to my next novel, a vampire tale. Meanwhile, Hobbes End is releasing the second volume of THE ENDLANDS in November, and I have a story featured therein.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has purchased my work or even just dropped by my website to read my insane bloggery. I feel like I’ve just scratched the surface of what I can do and I look forward to taking my readers on some fantastic journeys!

No comments: