Friday, October 12, 2012

Interview with Ann Lee Miller, Author of The Art of My Life


Ann Lee Miller earned a BA in creative writing from Ashland (OH) University and writes full-time in Phoenix, but left her heart in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, where she grew up. She loves speaking to young adults and guest lectures on writing at several Arizona colleges. When she isn’t writing or muddling through some crisis—real or imagined—you’ll find her hiking in the Superstition Mountains with her pastor husband or meddling in her kids’ lives.

AnnLeeMiller.com
Blog: http://the-art-of-my-life.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @AnnLeeMiller
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AnnLeeMillerAuthor


Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Miami, Stuart, and New Smyrna Beach, Florida. My dad built a 40-foot sailboat in our back yard that we ended up living aboard for a few years when I was an adolescent. This is why The Art of My Life is set on a sailboat.

When did you begin writing?

I always say I became a writer the year I discovered Sister Sheila had hair. I was in fifth grade at St. Hugh’s Catholic School in Miami, knee deep in nouns and verbs, when Sister Sheila walked through the door in a new habit that showed two inches of mouse brown hair threaded with silver. She took a special interest in my writing during a year my parents’ marriage was in melt-down.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

What is this book about?

Here’s the back cover:
Cal walked out of jail and into a second chance at winning Aly with his grandma’s beater sailboat and a reclaimed dream of sailing charters.

Aly has the business smarts, strings to a startup loan, and heart he never should have broken. He’s got squat. Unless you count enough original art to stock a monster rummage sale and an affection for weed.

But he’d only ever loved Aly. That had to count for something. Aly needed a guy who owned yard tools, tires worth rotating, and a voter’s registration card. He’d be that guy or die trying.

For anyone who’s ever struggled to measure up. And failed.

What inspired you to write it?

My own family drama.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-My-Life-ebook/dp/B009BICC2G

Barnes And Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-art-of-my-life-ann-lee-miller/1112910892?ean=2940015675597

Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/230031


What is up next for you?

My next novel, Avra’s God launches in December, and Tattered Innocence in March.

Is there anything you would like to add?

Anyone who leaves a comment with an e-mail address will receive a free e-copy of the prequel, Kicking Eternity. Or you may request your free e-copy at AnnLeeMiller.com

No comments: