Friday, January 6, 2012

The Book Connection's Top 10 Books of 2011


I think this was the hardest year for choosing my Top 10 Books. In going through my spreadsheet, I kept checking off books I knew should be on it, but then there over double what I was supposed to have. I had to go back through the list again, check out what I had to say about these books, think on it some more, and then compose a new list--a few times. I've decided to include honorable mentions because there are several books that could have made the list.
  1. Falling Home by Karen White
  2. A Christmas Journey Home by Kathi Macias
  3. The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson by Jerome Charyn
  4. Born Under a Lucky Moon by Dana Precious
  5. People of the Book by Kathi Macias
  6. Friendship Bread by Darien Gee
  7. Joe DiMaggio: The Long Vigil by Jerome Charyn
  8. A Higher Court by John Betcher
  9. Elizabeth I by Margaret George
  10. In the St. Nick of Time by K.M. Daughters
Honorable Mentions:

  1. Bears With Us by Marilyn Meredith
  2. Love You More by Lisa Gardner
  3. The Queen's Gamble by Barbara Kyle
  4. My Dearest Friend by Hazel Statham
  5. Murder is a Family Business by Heather Haven
  6. The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin
  7. The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner
  8. Cold Lonely Courage by Soren Paul Petrek
  9. Resurrection Garden by Frank Scully
  10. Murder in the Vatican by Ann Margaret Lewis

7 comments:

Hazel said...

Delighted to have made it to your Honorable Mention List with MY DEAREST FRIEND. It is a book I'm particularly fond of.

Many thanks,

Hazel

The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson said...

So pleased to see "The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson" make your top ten - it was also named a "must-read" by the MA wing of the Library of Congress. The book has thousands of fans gathered on its Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SecretLifeOfEmilyDickinson - and what a surprise to find a SECOND book by Charyn on your list - the saga of Joe DiMaggio and his turbulent romance with Marilyn Monroe. We appreciate you & I'll be following you from now on!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the comments. It was such a tough choice this year.

Hazel, having read many of your books, I can say this is a special one.

SLED, both books were superb. I am glad I had a chance to read them.

Wishing you both the best,

Cheryl

V.R. Leavitt said...

Great list, Cheryl! I read The Long Vigil as well and really enjoyed it. Will definitely have to check out The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson as well as others on your list. :-)

Tribute Books said...

Two by Jerome made the list - that's just awesome. Thanks Cheryl!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I was happy to make the Honorable Mention list with Bears With Us. Thanks, Cheryl.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies. Vanessa, Jerome's Emily Dickinson book was my favorite out of the three I've read. Definitely one worth checking out.

Nicole, the person who coordinatoes Jerome's facebook pages for both of these books asked me to join in, so I hope to become active there soon.

Marilyn, I love your work. Bears With Us was a great read. Thanks for dropping in.