Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Review: A Christmas Crossing (short story) by Lynn Hubbard

I love historicals and I love free books, so when author Lynn Hubbard offered her short story, A Christmas Crossing up for free on Smashwords in exchange for feedback, I took her up on that offer.

Sarah Fanum is thrust into the middle of the Revolutionary War. Having lost both her parents, she ends up volunteering for the Continental Army. More tragedy awaits her, but perhaps it will also lead to a new future.

This is a moving story of one woman's journey to find where she belongs after her life is turned upside down. Hubbard's attention to historical detail is outstanding. This short story also includes historical photos and maps. The cover is both beautiful and unique.

What I stumbled upon in A Christmas Crossing is all the grammar and typographical errors. Verb tenses would change in the middle of a chapter. Words were misspelled. I found that aspect distracting. A good editor would easily have caught these errors, making this a stronger story.

Overall, I'm glad I read it and I would consider another of Hubbard's stories in the future. She paints an excellent picture for the reader when it comes to setting, fashion, and other historical details, which will be appreciated by any lover of this genre.


Title: A Christmas Crossing
Author: Lynn Hubbard
ASIN: B00629J4VY

SRP:  $.99 on Kindle and Smashwords

I downloaded a FREE copy of this short story in exchange for providing my honest opinions. I received no monetary compensation of any kind for this review.

No comments: