Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Interview with Vincent Hobbes, Creator of The Endlands

Joining us today is Vincent Hobbes, creator of The Endlands.

Vincent has been actively writing since he was fifteen years old. His roots lay in horror, but he has recently branched out into other genres. In 2007, he was published. The Contrived Senator was the first book in a fantasy series. In 2008, he released Exiles, the second book in the series. Short stories have always been a favorite of Vincent’s, and in 2010 he teamed up with 11 incredible authors, and created The Endlands. This horror anthology is an ode to the kooky and bizarre.

Welcome to The Book Connection, Vincent. We're thrilled to have you with us. Let's start by having you tell us where you grew up.

I was born and raised in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. I currently reside north of DFW, a bit out in the country, away from the madness.

When did you begin writing?

I began writing in my teenage years. I was good at it, and had an English teacher who encouraged it. I always loved reading, so it made sense. I’ve been writing professionally for about five years.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I usually write at night, sometimes very late. It’s quiet and I seem to work best at that time. It seems my imagination is at its best at night.

What is this book about?

The Endlands is a short story anthology, an ode to the strange. I dedicated it to Rod Serling, who was a huge inspiration to this project. The Endlands is a collaboration of seventeen stories written by twelve authors. I personally included five of my own. Each story is different, unique—mind bending tales that will leave the reader in awe. This project is about something that seems to be lost: The short story. I think anyone who loves a strange tale will instantly love The Endlands.

What inspired you to write it?
The original intent was to write a short story novel myself. Over time, I realized I wanted to do something more, something bigger, and the project took on a life of its own. We gathered some amazing authors in the industry, and the project turned out greater than I could imagine.

Who is your favorite character from the book?

There are many characters in this book, but I’d say my personal favorite is Charlie, from my own story, “The Hour of the Time.” There’s just something strange about the man. Considering it is a short story, he is a very developed character with many idiosyncrasies that make him just a little odd.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

I have a team of content editors who are extremely critical, and of course my wife, who’s my biggest critic and biggest inspiration.

Who is your favorite author?

Probably typical of a horror author to say, but without a doubt Stephen King. He is an amazing story teller. That’s what I love about his work; I feel like I’m listening to story, not just reading a book.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

It was a bumpy ride. I presented the idea of this project to my publisher years ago, but nothing came of it. It took some time and convincing, but finally he agreed, and the rest is history.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

The Endlands is available on all online major retailers. It is also available in eBook format. Copies can also be purchased through the official website, www.TheEndlands.com

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

My personal website is: www.VincentHobbes.com.

The book’s website is: www.TheEndlands.com.

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

A trailer will be released when the next volume is ready. In the meantime, you can view a trailer for my short story, “The Hour of the Time”, on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69okGk2V_Uc.

What is up next for you?

We’ve finished the submission process for The Endlands: Volume 2. These stories are absolutely amazing, and the second book promises to please fans. I’m currently working on my own stories to be included, as well as two other solo novels. One is a dystopian book, the other a horror novel.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I appreciate your time and I appreciate the support of all my fans. Without them, none of this is possible. Stay tuned for more of my work and be sure to visit: www.VincentHobbes.com.

Thanks for spending time with us today, Vincent. We wish you continued success.

No comments: