Monday, May 2, 2011

Interview, Susan Kronick, Author of Sarah, They're Coming for You

Joining us today is Susan Kronik, author of Sarah, They're Coming for You. She has a Master of Science in Psychology from Nova Southeastern University and a Ph.D. in Paranormal Studies/Psychology from Union Institute and Graduate School, as well as being an adjunct psychology professor at Barry University and Palm Beach State College. A psychic and a medium, she has the gift of seeing the dead since she was a child. She also has taught parapsychology classes through the Palm Beach County School Board, as well as at Palm Beach State College. Susan has extensive experience in the area of investigations of haunting and the paranormal. She lives with her husband and her four spoiled rescue dogs in south Florida.

Welcome to The Book Connection, Susan. It's wonderful to have you with us. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

A. I might be just your average middle aged psychology professor, married, have four rescued dogs, and live in sunny south Florida. I am an avid Miami Dolphins football fan, I have a sweet tooth which I indulge by baking delicious cookies and cakes. What makes me not so average is my gift of seeing ghosts. I have seen spirits of the departed my entire life.

Where did you grow up?

A. I spent most of my childhood in Kew Gardens, a neighborhood in Queens, NY. My bossy personality has been compared to Carrie Heffernan, a character in the television show “King of Queens.” We then moved to beautiful Glen Cove, Long Island, which I really consider my true childhood home.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

A. My sister and I had been begging for a dog for the longest time. I remember a Friday evening my dad came home from work, and tucked under his coat was a wonderful surprise, our very first dog, a tiny eight week old poodle puppy we named Gigi. My mom nurtured the doggie like a baby, preparing cooked rice and chicken for her, as this was before the days of gourmet puppy foods!. My parents taught me to love and respect animals, which continues to this day.

When did you begin writing?

A. Aside from writing my doctoral dissertation, I was very content being a college professor. Weary after enduring three hurricanes in Florida, my husband and I, with dogs in tow, moved to upstate New York in 2007. Not used to the never ending string of dreary cloudy winter days, not to mention never ending snow, I sank into an Edgar Allen Poe depression. Sitting down at my laptop one day, beside the warmth of our fireplace, I began writing my debut novel, Sarah, They’re Coming For You. Fortunately, I had the majority of the manuscript completed by the time we moved back to sunny Florida in December 2008! The sunshine state is just too darn cheerful for me to have written “Sarah” The book would never have been written if we not lived up north!

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

A. I wrote “Sarah" during the day. I am definitely a morning person! My creative juices dry up after 6:00 PM.

What is this book about?

A. I consider the book to be a classic ghost story. Sarah, the protagonist is a married college professor with the gift of seeing the dead. She has been tormented by nasty entities throughout her entire life. The ghost of her great great grandfather has always interceded on Sarah’s behalf, saving her from the rogue ghosts who wish to claim Sarah’s soul for eternity. The only way she can end the haunting plaguing her is to journey to her family’s ancestral castle in the Alpine town of Meiningen, Austria. With the help of a mysterious stranger, along with the discovery of her great great great great grandfather’s diary, Sarah heads to the old country to face her ghostly tormenters head on.

What inspired you to write it?

A. I am Sarah! The book is inspired by actual events from my own life! I didn’t initially set out to write an autobiography. The experts say always write about what you are familiar with. Rereading the first few chapters, it became quite apparent that I was writing my story. Of course, my ancestral home in Austria was actually a modest house, not a castle. Although I have encountered my share of nasty spirits over the years, I did not have to travel to Europe to confront the ghosts! My trip to Austria with my mom in 1990 was actually just a relaxing vacation.

Who is your biggest supporter?

A. My entire family has been wonderfully supportive, particularly my husband and my sister.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

A. I relied on my editors and publisher at Wild Child Publishing to critique my work. Once my manuscript was accepted by them for publication, I endured almost a year-long series of edits and rewrites to perfect the book into a work worthy of publication.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

I am indeed looking for an agent. I am currently signed up for a two month virtual book tour (April/May) with Pump up Your Book. When that expires, I will most definitely be looking for a booking agent to promote me (and my book) on the speaking circuit, book tours and media appearances as a ghost hunter.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

A. I lucked out! I was offered a contract a mere three months into my search for a publisher.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

A. My book is offered at www.Amazon.com/kindle,www.wildchildpublishing.com, http://www.omnilit.com/, http://www.bookstrand.com/, and http://www.mobipocket.com/.

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

A. My website is http://www.susankronick.webs.com/. I am also doing a two month virtual book tour during April/May with http://www.pumpupyourbook.com/. I will also be the featured author in the June issue of Paranormal Underground Magazine at http://www.paranormalunderground.net/.

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

Signing on with Pump Up Your Book!

What is up next for you?

I have started a second book, The House on Gingerwood Lane, about an old Victorian home which has the ability to send its occupants back in time to the year 1892.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I have investigated countless hauntings over the years throughout the United States in the capacity of a medium as well as a paranormal investigator. In addition to having taught courses in parapsychology through the Palm Beach County School Board and at Palm Beach State College.

Thanks for spending time with us today, Susan. We wish you the best.

3 comments:

V.R. Leavitt said...

I love ghost stories and this is even more fascinating given that it's based on real life events!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting, thanks ! for sharing.

April said...

I have always had a deep and avid interest in ghosts and all things paranormal. After having experienced several occurrences personally, I love to hear other people's stories.