Friday, May 13, 2011

Interview: Alexandrea Weis, Author of Recovery

Joining us today is Alexandrea Weis, author of Recovery.  In college she studied nursing and went on to teach at a local university. After several years in the medical field, she decided to pick up the pen again and began her first novel To My Senses. Since that time she has writen several novels and sold two screenplays (White River and Blood Will Tell). Blood Will Tell is currently in pre-production with Buyer Group International. Her work has been critically acclaimed and is continually growing in popularity.

Her most recent book is Recovery, the second novel in the Nicci Beauvoir series.

Welcome to The Book Connection, Alexandrea. It's a joy to have you with us. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?


I am a registered nurse and a permitted wildlife rehabber with the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries. My nursing experience helps me to care for orphaned and injured wildlife. My favorites are baby squirrels. As I am speaking to you now, I have one running around on my lap and attempting to eat my keyboard. I have a large menagerie of pets, including one very well tamed husband. I love animals and when I am not caring for wildlife, I try to get in a little writing on the side.  
Where did you grow up?
I was born and raised New Orleans. I grew up in the French Quarter, Uptown, and then my family moved to a section of the city called Lakeview when I was about nine. I think growing up in such an eclectic town influenced my writing. So much history, and so many eccentric characters in one place, can only nurture an individual’s innate creativity.        
What is your fondest childhood memory?
I rode horses as a kid at a stable inside of City Park. It’s a huge park complex within New Orleans. My fondest memories are of heading out on my horse on a beautiful spring day and running him along the shores of the vast lagoon complex located within the park. There is nothing better than running an ex-race horse flat out on a beautiful spring day!
When did you begin writing?
I started writing at eight. I began with poetry and was always fascinated by how the right words on paper could evoke such emotion from people. I studied creative writing throughout high school and was really encouraged by my English teacher, June Wells. She always believed I was a writer, even when I thought I should become something a bit more practical.
Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?
I write a little n the mornings, but the bulk of my writing is at night. I like the quiet of the house after everyone has gone to bed and I can work uninterrupted.
What is this book about?
Recovery is the sequel to my first book, To My Senses. It takes place two years after the main character, Nicci, has suffered the loss of her love, David Alexander. Nicci learns David was killed because of her. Someone from her past in New Orleans murdered David out of jealousy over Nicci. She teams up with a corporate spy, and former friend of David’s, to hunt down the killer in ravages of post-Katrina New Orleans.  
What inspired you to write it?
The success of the first book and the love so many readers had for the characters, prompted me to continue the story. There was no sequel to my first book, but I really enjoyed writing the characters so much, I wanted the fun to continue. So I sat down and wrote Recovery
Who is your biggest supporter?
I can’t choose just one. I have been blessed with some really great friends, and a tolerant husband, who have encouraged me. I would not be here today with you if it were not for my amazing support group.   
Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?
I am not a member of any critique groups, but I have one or two good friends who provide me with wonderful feedback on my books.
Who is your favorite author?

I don’t have an all time favorite, but I love Ernest Hemingway, Ian Fleming, Mary Renault, and Edgar Allen Poe.  
Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?
I don’t have an agent but I am always on the lookout for one!
Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?
Definitely bumpy. But I don’t think anything that is truly worthwhile is not without a few bumps. If you know this is something you have to do, then you will suffer through every pothole until you get to where you want to be. 
If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?
I don’t think any of the knowledge that I have gained would have changed any of my decisions. This path has been the most educational and the most fulfilling for me.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Recovery is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble.com and at local booksellers.
Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?
They can go to www.alexandreaweis.com for updates on upcoming books.

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?
Not yet, but it is coming out soon!
What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?


What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?
Keep writing. Don’t ever stop.

What is up next for you?
The movie rights for Recovery have been picked up by an independent production company out of Dallas, so up next for me will probably be the script for Recovery. And I am in the process of getting book III in the Nicci Beauvoir series ready. It is called Sacrifice and will be out in Spring 2012.
Is there anything you would like to add?
Thank you to all the readers out there. Their encouragement keeps me writing.

Thanks for spending time with us today, Alexandrea. We wish you continued success.

No comments: