Thursday, February 3, 2011

Author Interview: Frank C. Matthews, Author of Respect the Jux

Today's special guest is Frank C. Matthews, author of Respect the Jux. Frank’s triumphant transformation from inmate to novelist has established him as a leading force in the world of urban literature. As a New York City native, Matthews grew up with aspirations of one day becoming a household name as an NBA Superstar. The lure of the streets and its fast money took Matthews away from hoops and into another game – the drug trade – where he found instant success. But a deal gone bad eventually landed him behind bars. Once incarcerated, Matthews had few options of how to spend his seemingly unending time in what felt like a black hole drawing at all happiness. Taking advantage of the still and silent nights, Matthews spent hours plunged into two of the world’s most renowned, contemporary African-American storytellers, Iceberg Slim and Donald Goines.The books empowered the now bright-eyed and enthusiastic Matthews and awakened a creative bug to tell the stories locked inside him.

Welcome to The Book Connection, Frank. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I’m Frank C. Matthews, the author of Respect the Jux. I grew up in New York City, where my dreams of becoming an NBA superstar were soon sidetracked when I got involved in the drug trade. I turned to writing during my incarceration, and discovered that I could put my past behind me and emerge with a renewed sense of purpose and unwavering determination.

When did you begin writing?

Surprisingly, to most people I haven’t been writing very long. I started writing while I was incarcerated, which was about nine years ago.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write every moment I get in my mind, and I try to sit down and type as much as possible on the plane, in the car and where I can pull my laptop out.

What is this book about?

Respect the Jux is about a foreigner coming to America and chasing the American dream as he depicts it to be. He fails in acquiring it in the manner that we consider to be the right way and forms a fraternity of thieves to achieve it.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

My book can be purchased at http://www.frankmatthews.com/, Borders, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and iTunes.

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

http://www.frankmatthews.com/

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

Yes, on  my YouTube page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHppWKqJo2o

What is up next for you?

I’m actually working on my next book titled Bury Me in It and actually my current release will be turned into a television series with the critically acclaimed director Gary Gray.

Thanks for joining us today, Frank. We wish you continued success.


Respect the Jux is also available in a Kindle edition!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Inspiring to know you were able to get past the past and do something good with your life and your stories Frank.

April said...

Great interview Cheryl and Frank!