Friday, July 30, 2010
Penguin Books Celebrates 75 Years with a Giveaway
The Book Connection would like to congratulate Penguin Books on their 75th Anniversary!
In 1935, Penguin founder Allen Lane took the publishing world by storm when he decided to follow through on his idea that quality literature didn't have to cost a lot of money. Lane lauched Penguin Books with ten titles. A year later, more than 100 Penguin titles were in print with more than 1,000,000 copies sold. Through many milestones and awards, Penguin Books continues Lane's dream.
Please visit their special 75th Anniversary website, which has a timeline of Penguin's history, a photo gallery, an article on where the original ten titles published by Penguin are now, and much more!
To help celebrate their 75th Anniversary, Penguin Books is allowing The Book Connection to run a giveaway for a copy of The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.
Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three of the town's fiercest racists, Lily decides they should both escape to Tiburon, South Carolina—a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. There they are taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters who introduce Lily to a mesmerizing world of bees, honey, and the Black Madonna who presides over their household. This is a remarkable story about divine female power and the transforming power of love—a story that women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come.
Once again, we would like to congratulate Penguin Books on their first 75 years in business. We look forward to what the next 75 years will bring!
Here are the details and rules of this contest:
1) You must be a follower of this blog to win.
2) Leave a comment including a working email address for your chance to win a copy of The Secret Life of Bees. Entries without an email address will not be counted.
* This contest is open to residents of the United States and Canada only.
* Deadline to enter is 11:59 PM Eastern on August 6th.
* Winner will be notified by email. Winner must respond with a complete mailing address within 72 hours of being notified or another winner will be selected.
* Shipping will be media mail through the USPS. The Book Connection is not responsible for lost or damaged goods.
* Even if you have recently won a prize from The Book Connection, you are eligible to enter this contest.