Wednesday, June 23, 2010

At Home With Laurie Ann by Laurie Ann McMillin Ray -- Book Review



At Home with Laurie Ann certainly looks like it is going to be a book to live up to its subtitle, "A Decorator's Guide: Turning the Place You Live into a Home You Love".

I received an unsolicited, free copy of this book from Author Marketing Experts, Inc. Initially, this made me a bit cranky. I'm not a huge fan of people sending me books I don't request. That said, I had seen several giveaways running for this book, but I hadn't won a copy, so when this one arrived I figured God had intervened on my behalf.

This is a beautifully designed book filled with stunning photographs. As if Laurie Ann were standing in the room with you, the conversational tone of her words flow off the pages and encourage you every step of the way. From teaching you how to "spot your style" to motivating you to experiment with color, this book has exactly what you need to turn your house into the home you want it to be.

At Home with Laurie Ann touches upon decorating with a smaller budget, what to do if the paint store doesn't have the color you want, and gives you ideas on how you can use samples to try out your potential new style before you make the change.

Chapter 3 takes you "Room by Room", while Chapter 4 discusses colors, layers, and patterns. There's also a section on a look for every season, which includes decorating ideas for the holidays. This section also includes some great recipes. There's even a chapter on decorating your great outdoors. I also appreciated the Glossary included at the end.

While I have to admit that I glance at some of the photographs and think, "My house will never look like that," Laurie Ann's instructions and easy conversational style make me believe it's possible. I'll definitely be trying this book out.


Title: At Home with Laurie Ann, A Decorator's Guide: Turn the Place You Live into A Home You Love
Author: Laurie Ann McMillin Ray
Publisher: Laurie Ann Publishing, Inc.
ISBN-10: 0984074805
ISBN-13: 978-0984074808
SRP: $29.95

No comments: