Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Journey to Publication - Part 2

So, where did we leave off on our little journey? Oh, yeah, I talked about my drama filled moment when I decided to embark upon a writing career. I was real bold, telling my journal instead of people. But, I digress...

The next thing I did was spend money. I am female, after all. Okay, well, not really too female because I actually hate shopping; but Amazon has made it so easy to shop without having to deal with driving and crowds, that I can handle shopping from time to time--though the UPS man must hate me by Christmas. I swear I should at least include him on my Christmas card list.

Anyway, I ordered some books on the craft--many of which I haven't read yet. Gasp! Well, there really is a reason for that. I ended up enrolling in Long Ridge Writing Group's Breaking into Print program.

I can't say my husband was too supportive of me spending hundreds of dollars on an unknown commodity; but he supported my desire to become published and stay home with our children, which by this time numbered three. While the school couldn't guarantee I would be published by the the time I graduated from the program, the number of students who were published by their graduation date led me to believe this was a good choice.

It was!

My instructor, Karen O'Connor, provided invaluable insight into my writing and the market. She also provided Tip Sheets that I still refer to from time to time. The course included a workbook and two writing craft books (I actually read those). While the Breaking into Print program allows you to focus on articles or short stories, I decided to focus on articles. Nonfiction had been my preferred genre for years, and I figured that's where I would be spending most of my time.

I sent out submissions while I worked through the program. After several months of rejections, the quickest of which came from Good Housekeeping only a week after I submitted it (ouch!), a friend I met through Long Ridge asked me to write a series of six articles on time management and organization geared toward writers.

My first article appeared at Destiny3Fiction, an online magazine, in November 2005. A month later I graduated from Long Ridge.

I was on my way!

Read Part 1 here!


Nicole weaver said...

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading about your journey to publication. Sometimes husbands can be difficult. Mine complain about me spending too much time on the computer. Great sharing!

V.R. Leavitt said...

Very cool!! This is a great series so far. It's nice to get more of your personal story. Very inspiring.

NancyCL said...

Loved this article and it gives us a lot more insight into you and your writing career. I had to laugh at your comment about giving the UPS guy a Christmas card. I know mine must be so sick of stopping here with all the books I get. Anyway, I'm sure you're well on your way to a wonderful career. If the new book your writing is any indication, I know it will be a big hit! Lots of luck, my friend! :-)

Margie Church said...

My husband thought I was nuts when I announced I was writing short stories in preparation to writing a novel. Eventually he came around and when I got my first contract, he asked for my autograph and framed it. Thanks for sharing your journey and continued best wishes.

Donna M. McDine said...

Hi Cheryl:

Thanks for sharing portions of your publishing successes. A supportive family definitely helps. Keep going you are doing terrific. You go girl!

Warm regards,

Cheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies. I'm glad you're enjoying my ramblings a bit.


Janet Ann Collins said...

I didn't have time to read and comment on your post before because I was at a writer's conference, where I saw my friend - Karen O'Connor! I've taken workshops from her before and she's a great help to new writers.